Newbie Starts

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
Alright, I will be the first to admit that I am still a newb when it comes to racing. I have yet to take my truck out to the track, because honestly, I don't know how to start from the line yet.

All of my tries have been from a dead stop. I have tried just slamming the gas down, obviously that didn't work, I just spun.

So then I tried rolling into the gas, and putting it WOT at about 20mph, still I would fishtail back and forth.

Even at about 40mph if I slammed down the gas it felt like I was skiing. Whats the deal? How do I get a good start without spinning like a madman. I know traction bars would help, and so would slicks, but I want to be able to do it with what I got.

BTW, my mods are SCT Xcal2, Airraid intake, accufab throttlebody, 4# lower, straight pipes. I am running stock rims, and I just got Nitto 555DRs put on the back.

Any help? Thanks guys.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
you are spinning that bad with the DR's at 40?????? I have the stock F1's and don't spin at all really from 40. From 20 I spin a good bit but am able to drive out of it. Is there any moisture in the air or something?

Bootbox

Established Member
Just roll into it nice and steady from the line. Not to the floor instantly, but not slowly either. Just nice and steady till you're to the floor.

The track will have much more traction available than the street and you won't spin as badly, if at all.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
you cant realy get out of the hole in a hurry, because these trucks have a shit load of tourque.and that bitc...jst wants to spin. ease it out of the hole with minimum tire spin, then slam on it.you have to practice to get it right.put your tire preassure at 20-22 psi,when racing.

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
No, I wasn't spinning at 40 with the Nittos. I just got them on yesterday and haven't had a chance to really try them out yet. With the F1's though, at 40 it was like skiing down the damn road, I hated it. Hope these DR's hook better

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you as far as launching is concerned. You probably wanna look into getting a higher than stock stall speed torque convertor as well as the DRs and traction bars. These will most definitely be my next mods before I get the engine built and the KB.
All of that torque can be a bitch sometimes. :pepper: :banana: :bash:

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
I had thought about getting tractoin bars, but I was saving up to get a KB instead. I figure it would be better bang for my buck to get a huge power adder, then get a whole bunch of little ones.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Traction bars will not help you gain traction, or rather, they won't help you get more traction. They are kind of misnamed in that aspect.

Axle wrap is a problem that plagues leaf sprung vehicles, particularly those that are set up with the spring over the axle.

Axle wrap is different from wheel hop. Wheel hop is when the rear axle rapidly hops up and down. Axle wrap is unwanted suspension movement that allows the pinion angle to change.

Wheel hop is annoying and could cause drivetrain breakage, but usually it's not the actual hopping that breaks parts, it's the axle wrap that results from the hop that causes drivelines to bind and breaks yokes, drive shafts and sometimes even pinions.

Traction bars stop or prevent axle wrap, so in effect, one could argue it does help with traction in that aspect. But it doesn't give you MORE traction.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
nastynivek said:
Well, with all of that said...Do the traction bars decrease tire spin due to the reduction of axle wrap?

If I understand the physics involved, yes, but only as an indirect result of the primary reason to use traction bars.

Since the bars reduce axle wrap, the reduction of axle wrap allows the tires to maintain a more stable contact with the pavement. A more stable contact will help establish a more consistent footprint tire tread pressure, which does indeed help with traction when compared to an unstable contact with the pavement, however small the instability may be. So a more stable wheel, allows more consistent contact with the pavement, which can result in less tire spin.

But remember, the primary reason to use traction bars is to stop axle wrap which will save your drive shaft.

Stewart

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Thanks for the explanation. :beer:
I'm still going to get a set of traction bars. Don't need no axle wrap causing my driveshaft to get funky or spinning the tires off the line. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread