Newest issue........Car wont hold idle........long read, but necessary info

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ok so I had been having issues with the fuel system. Some sort of electrical gremlin where the car had no fuel pressure. I thought we had that figured out. The FPDMs were overheating and going into thermal shutdown so plugging in a spare set would fix the issue. This was happening before I tore down the whole front end to replace the timing cover gasket.

I replaced the timing cover gasket, put everything back together and she started up and ran fine. No more leaks at all by the way so that was a success at least........However, I drove it about 4 miles to a gas station to fill her up and then it wouldn't start after putting gas in. It would turn over but not start. Turns out I have zero fuel pressure again. I hooked up the spare, nice and cool, FPDMs that ive been running around with.........same issue. I have a fuse that runs on its own line near the battery under the hood. I checked it and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and the car started up but now it wont hold idle.............:bash: It will die immediately if I take my foot off the gas. So im thinking IAC Valve........the fact that I got a p1504 code reinforced this. I limp the car home and clean the IAC Valve with some carb cleaner (no I didn't spray it directly into the valve). I reinstall the valve and the car starts and holds idle again. Problem solved right? Wrong.....

The next day I drive the car another 10 miles without issue. On the way back home it starts to stutter and doesn't want to go, but clears itself up once I get up to speed. Then as Im slowing down coming to a red light the car dies again. I pull over and it starts back up but AGAIN will not hold idle unless I keep my foot on the gas. Im getting code p1504 again along with FIVE other codes which were: p0171, p0174, p0325, p0330 and p1233. P0325 and P0330 im not worried about because those are knock sensor codes and this car doesn't have any (mach 1 aluminum block). Basically fuel related again, but the car is getting fuel........When I keep my foot on the gas and let it run and just hold it steady at say 1k rpm it will run all day long and gets a steady 35-40 psi of fuel pressure and it holds that even revving to 5k rpm.

So this time I went and bought a brand new IAC valve at my local Vato Zone and installed it. It didn't fix the issue. The car will still not hold idle even with a brand new IAC valve. I took the part back and got my money back. So that's where I am at right now. I cant figure this out and all I want to do is drive the damn thing reliably :shrug:

Mods list:
5.0l stroker fully forged w/ WAP mach 1 block bored .020 over.
9.6:1 CR
Comp Cams stage 2 blower cams
Posi ported eaton with stock TB and plenum
2.76 upper and 4 lb metco lower
stock fuel rails, 60 lb injectors
-8 AN fuel line
Twin Ford GT Pumps
Dual FPDMs with dual fpdm wiring harness and relay
Fore Fuel hat w/ PPRV Delete

The tune on the car now is from when it was at nearly sea level. Ive only had it for a month at 5300 feet above sea level. Could it have something to do with the tune and the high elevation? I had planned on retuning it but not until I installed the return fuel system and a 150 shot wet nitrous kit......

Please help!! I need this fixed ASAP! Thanks

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Are you guys as stumped as I am? lol. Im gonna go clean the MAF sensor and see if that has anything to do with it. Could the TPS cause this too? Im just trying to think of things that were pulled off the car while I was changing the timing cover gasket.......The car didn't have the idle issue before the gasket change, just no fuel pressure, which isn't a problem now........

B0B

Established Member
I would start with the basics. First off, are the FPDM's overheating while you are just driving around? they shouldn't be. I've run 600+ rwhp with the stock FPDM and never had it overheat on me. It sounds like you might have some wiring hooked up wrong. Even though they aren't popping the fuse and/or going into thermal shut-down right now doesn't mean there isn't an issue there. I would just double check your wiring, log FPDC at idle and WOT, check your voltage at your TPS (should be about .95v with throttle closed) etc. I think your idle issue is more of your computer going haywire than anything else. Also, your car should run with the IAC unplugged. It should idle, but lower than your desired idle speed. I adjusted my throttle body so the car would run at about 500rpm without any help from the IAC valve.

But my first bet is something is haywire with your FPDM setup.

Users who are viewing this thread