Newly Commissioned Officer...

ringo01

Established Member
I just commissioned into the Air Force yesterday as a 2nd Lieutenant. My EAD is set for 11 May, but I am still waiting for my orders... Guess if I don't get them tomorrow they may delay my date.

Is this typical of the Air Force to be so slow with orders??? Most of my class already got their orders and they aren't leaving till the end of May/June.

I am headed to Pensacola NAS for Combat Systems Officer training and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the training there or just about Pensacola itself.

Also, any advice for a new officer is great. I have my mouth shut and ears wide open.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I just commissioned into the Air Force yesterday as a 2nd Lieutenant. My EAD is set for 11 May, but I am still waiting for my orders... Guess if I don't get them tomorrow they may delay my date.

Is this typical of the Air Force to be so slow with orders??? Most of my class already got their orders and they aren't leaving till the end of May/June.

I am headed to Pensacola NAS for Combat Systems Officer training and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the training there or just about Pensacola itself.

Also, any advice for a new officer is great. I have my mouth shut and ears wide open.

Do this for a little while and you should be fine. The best thing you can do is find a squared away E-7 and absorb from him like a sponge.

Marc

Established Member
Take it from a Chief that has been in 27 years and still going, get used to waiting for anything that comes from your Military Personnel Flight. And hope, hope, its right the first time and you don't need admendments of any type.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Do this for a little while and you should be fine. The best thing you can do is find a squared away E-7 and absorb from him like a sponge.

+1

I am an Chief (Navy though) and attach yourself to someone who knows the AirForce. I am currently in college changing to an officer and that is what I am going to do. We know a few things! Please don't act like you know everything because you outrank your chiefs. I promise you it won't be fun!

Oh and thanks for you service.

Yes, the military in general is slow probably because they are waiting on MONEY to fund your orders!

Last edited:

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
Don't shit on your NCO's. They're your tools so use them and learn from them.

ringo01

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I will definitely listen to my NCOs.

pdm

Established Member
Congrats, and thank you!

A close friend of mine is a Navy commander and pilot. His daughter is getting married this summer, and he will be commissioning his son-in-law into the Marines as part of their wedding ceremony. Very cool!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah "Hurry up and wait", learn it, love it, and embrace it...

In general the only two things I've seen the military work real fast at is; on short notice deployments <24hr out processing times are achievable and when you get over paid they are fast to snatch that money back up...

Last edited:

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Don't blindly listen to your NCO's. Remember you are in charge and they know that. You need to establish a respect between the two of you. (I'm in the Army so when I was a LT I listened / talked to my PLT SGT) Make sure you both are on the same page. Nothing is more embarassing than conflicting orders. Remember, you have your intent from the CDR and your NCO will most likely have some instructions from their NCOIC. Make sure you clearly outline your orders. And whatever you do, DO NOT DO YOUR NCO'S JOB. Let them do it. You tell them what you want and they will have thier airmen do it. Good Luck and if you ever need anything let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread