Next step after intake/tune/exhaust/suspension

rsb213

Established Member
Current setup is JLT intake, bama 91r tune, cat deletes, roush axlebacks, eibach sportlines/ bmr lca with relo / bmr adjustable upper with relo.

Looking to tackle my next best bang for buck mod to reduce the 1/4. Is it a 3" OTA pipe? Intake mani? I personally think a 2step and m/t drag radials are the next things to do. Thoughts?

a6 car btw.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Catless h-pipe and x-pipe gain about 15rwhp and they are fairly reasonable. Then I would go with tires and a stall.

KushBandit

Established Member
What good would a 2-step do on an auto with a stock converter? The stock converter is good for roughly 1800rpm before it will push the tires. A trans brake could get it to 2000rpm.

Best bang for the buck would be a torque converter. If you're looking for power, you could look at a Boss manifold or the Victor II manifold from Edlebrock. Those will raise your rev limit to 7500rpm, so if you don't want to spin it that high, just stick with the stock coyote manifold.

Long tube headers would help, but most are pretty pricy for the minimal gains you get. Do you have E85 around you? 47lbs injectors and a retune is all you need for that fuel. 3" OTA pipes are worthless. Bigger is not always better, plus they usually hit the axle on lowered cars when going over speed bumps and the like.

You want to make more power without changing parts? Dump bama and get a real tune.

rsb213

Established Member
Catless h-pipe and x-pipe gain about 15rwhp and they are fairly reasonable. Then I would go with tires and a stall.

I'm running a catless h-pipe already. Current tires are bridgestone re-11's. Thinking about doing slicks.

Last edited:

rotarymagic

Established Member
Get rid of sportlines if you're into 1/4 mile performance. Those are THE anti-drag spring lol.

KushBandit

Established Member
Get rid of sportlines if you're into 1/4 mile performance. Those are THE anti-drag spring lol.

No kidding lol. Some BMR Drag Springs would be much better suited, along with some double adjustable shocks.

OP, you could also check out a tubular k-member and remove your front sway bar. Is this a daily driver or fun car?

rsb213

Established Member

What are the differences in the two?

No kidding lol. Some BMR Drag Springs would be much better suited, along with some double adjustable shocks.

OP, you could also check out a tubular k-member and remove your front sway bar. Is this a daily driver or fun car?

It's a daily. Thoughts about new seats/weight savings?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
a6 car btw.

I have the six speed manual, but many many many people say to swap the converters in automatics.

It all really has to do with what the goals for your car are. I was dead set on boosting, but I realized a month ago that it is cheaper to add $2000 worth of cams and headers to my current set up and reach 500 RWHP, opposed to spending another $4000 plus on a blower. Whatever your decisions are, make sure they are informed ones and they represent the direction that you want the car to take.

I feel that tuning is THE most important aspect of modification, as it has taken me four tunes to finally be satisfied (Stock, Procal, Bama, and now finally AED). AED rocks BTW, Shaun by far provides the best customer service that I have ever received. Small business FTW, as I will be running one myself soon.

Looking back, I wish I had kept the stock intake manifold, taken out a small loan at the credit union, and went with a Paxton or Hellion. But then again, building a naturally aspirated setup has been a lot of fun since I do all of my own labor. PM me if you have any questions about the Cobra Jet intake and required tuning.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member

Depends what you can tolerate. Premium or base car? The base seats arent heavy but the premium seats sure are. Lightweight seats wouldn't hurt though.

Do you ever use the rear seats? If not, lose 'em. Do you have a Shaker subwoofer/amp setup in the trunk? Yank it. Spare tire and jack? You know what to do. If you have a strut tower brace, pull that off if you decide to remove the front sway bar.

How much do you weigh? A good diet will help a fat mans 1/4 mile time lol :D

rotarymagic

Established Member

The spring rates on the sportlines are ridiculously stiff and don't transfer any weight. I've seen a bolt on car on MTs nuke the tires on the street with a stock converter because it had sportlines lol. BMR Drags are pretty good from what I've seen and they still lower the car which I'm sure is important for you.

Vert

Established Member
Since its an A6 I assume you have 3.15 gears so I would look at a lower gear if you don't plan on going FI.

Users who are viewing this thread