NGK Spark Plugs

DailyBlown

Established Member
I have an '04 L and have been away from the modding scene for a while. So I am hoping for some advice. Back when I first got my Lightning and upgraded the spark plugs, NGK TR6s were the way to go. However, I am over 100,000 miles now and have a CEL light on for a misfire in cyclinder 8. I figured it is time to change them again. Long story short. I went to some of the old vendors websites and they have the TR6s, but it has a different SKU. I tried to do a search on this website, but the tool isn't very good. In the FAQ, the 4177 plugs are recommended.

On LFP's website, they have NGK-3951 and on Lethal's website they have BR7EF and TR6IX. Just wondering if something has changed and the 4177 are not recommended anymore. For mods, I have Morosso trans pan, wide band o2, bassani exhaust, K&N intake, Punisher VB, and oil catch can. Should I stick with the 4177 plugs? NGK still the way to go or try a different plug?

In reference to the FAQ, it states the following, "When increasing boost above stock, even 2#'s more, new spark plugs need to be installed. More boost causes the air charge to be heated more and also makes more heat inside the engine. From stock boost up to 16# total boost NGK TR6's (4177) are hard to beat, gap them to .036-.038". For 16 # and up you may want to use NGK BR7EF's as they're another heat range colder, gap them .032-.034". Colder plugs are MANDATORY in order to prevent detonation and engine damage. There are no gains/losses from plug to plug. As always consult your tuner as to which would be best suited to your mods/conditions as all motors will be slightly different. "

Dusten

Established Member
If the truck is stock boost, then don't run TR6's. Run stock heat range plugs.
Most still run the 4177 on trucks with minor bolt ons.
Stock motorcraft plugs gapped at .045 is correct for stock boost. There are no gains from the NGK's on a stock truck. They are a colder plug and help resist detonation in higher boost application.

Black 2000

Boss Hoss
Established Member
if the truck is stock boost, then don't run tr6's. Run stock heat range plugs.
Most still run the 4177 on trucks with minor bolt ons.
Stock motorcraft plugs gapped at .045 is correct for stock boost. There are no gains from the ngk's on a stock truck. They are a colder plug and help resist detonation in higher boost application.

x2

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
You can run tr-6 in a stock boost truck. been doing it for ten yrs. or more. Gap at .035. Cheap and available at any part store.

Dusten

Established Member
You can run tr-6 in a stock boost truck. been doing it for ten yrs. or more. Gap at .035. Cheap and available at any part store.
Can and should are not the same. For max performance and efficiency you want the hottest plug capable, and the widest gap.

Users who are viewing this thread