NGK's on, but why did i Stall??

chrisle7220

Established Member
Something weird happened today. Well i had just recently installed NGK tr6's at .38(thats what bob at steigmeier told me) and did a quick 3rd gear pull from 60. After i let off, i put it in neutral and let it coast down, applying the breaks slowly. Well i looked at my rpm and it was bouncing up and down from 0k-1k, and then it stalled. I pulled over and restarted the beast and everything seemed ok, but im still curious as to why it may have stalled? some say it could be the gap, maybe try .35, but it seems most 2.93 owners gap them a .38. On another note it was sort of cold outside, 40 degrees, so that may have played a factor. does anyone know? thanks

redfire03 svt

Established Member
I have stock plugs, and in cold weather my tach jumps around alot. I have almost stalled out quite a few trimes. I see you have a offroad midpipe, so do I and that in cold weather seems to cause my cobra to idle up and down alot since it was put on. I would not worry about it to much, unless it is continously cutting out.

chrisle7220

Established Member
naw its only when i do like wot runs. Like if i did like a 20-60 run it will be fine, but if i go to like 100mph, and then let off, and apply the breaks somewhat hard, my rpms will jump around. I think it has to do with the way i apply the breaks, if i press em down slowly and tap them to slow down, it will be ok. But if i apply them with some force, my rpms will jump around like crazy making the car feel like its gonna stall.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Oh, hmm!! Do you have a performance shop down there in texas that could give there two cents on it. It must have something to do how your are slowing the engine rpms down so quickly. These cars do act strange in cold weather though, but if it a continuous problem, try closing the spark plug gap ever so slightly. You could also try putting your stockers back in, and if it does'nt stall then you know that it is the TR6's. They might be gapped to widely. My 2 cts.

ralphy1798

Established Member
I just thought of something this morning...

What kind of tool did you use to gap the plugs? Those $0.99 Auto Zone ones are off by quite a bit. I use them, but calibrate them with a pair of calipers. They were off by .005" So i gapped them at .032 on the tool which was .037 in reality... Double checked with calipers after the gap. Maybe your is the other way by .005 or more and you are blowing your shit out...

Get a pair of calipers and calibrate whatever tool you use...

Jeff

chrisle7220

Established Member
yeah they come pre-gapped, but i bought a tool to test them out. And they all came out to .38 gap. Also today did 2 good pulls and it felt great, no stall, but that doesnt mean it wont do it again. So im just trying to be cautious. On another note, i hope im not experiencing belt slip, cause it felt like something was slipping when i got on it today. Either my tires were spinning a little in 3rd at 60mph, or my belt was slipping. O well?

Users who are viewing this thread