Night Vision Goggles

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Anybody here have any? What brand? How much did you pay for them? How do they work? Any thoughts on what to steer clear of? Thanks in advance.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
ANVIS 9's are what I use. Do you mean how do they work as far as how good are they to use or do you want to know how NVG's actually work? You want to geek out and hear about microchannel plates, phospher screens?

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I have a Insight Technology PVS-14 NVM which uses Litton Ind. Generation 3 electronoics, it has both low ambient light and infrared modes and can run on either 1 DL123A battery (40 hours) or 1 AA batery (20 hours). On my AR I have it co-witnessed with a EO Tech 551 NV compatable holographic sight. The NVM can be detached from it's Picatinny rail mount and hand held or mounted on a helmet or head band mount, I have a head band mount when I want to go hands-free. It's an excellent piece of equipment and was about $2,200 when I bought it new 2 years ago.

Insight Technology Products

dcp_2928.jpg

Billede010-2.jpg

Last edited:

dogmush

Established Member
What do you want to use it for, and what is your budget? My Gen 1 night scope works. My PVS-14 works way better.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
I am looking for a monacle (sp?) or a small pair of binoculars with a minimal amount of magnification for general purpose, no night hunting or anything of that nature. I don't care a great deal about how they work, I can look that up on the internet. I am looking to spend less than $500.00 and Generation I stuff with IR would probably be just fine.

dogmush

Established Member
For less then $500, you're definatly in the Gen I intensifier class. ATN, Yukon, Bushnell and the like all have "consumer" grade NVD's. Be aware that a Gen I tune like you're discussing has issues. It needs ambient light (never mind what the ads say civilian grade IR iluminators are for close work only), the image will be grainy, and you will have a "fisheye" effect to some extent or another. If your only experiance with NVD's is COD4 you'll be disappointed in it. Gen II and up are really a quantam leap better tech, but will cost slightly more then twice.

Don't get me wrong, a Gen I tube will work, and is pretty cool to play with, especially if you don't use the better stuff. You can scan feilds at night for predators, watch neighbors, look at nocturnal creatures, and navigate boats at night with them. If you're planning any "serious" work (hunting, real survellence, full dark indoors weapons sight, stuff like that) you should save the money and get a AN/PVS-14 (or at least a -7).

For the consumer grade stuff, check out opticsplanet.net, they have a decent selection. For the more serious stuff hit some place like Tactical Night Vision (tnvc.com) but bring a credit card.

I have a ATN Gen I scope for playing around at home, I'll try to get some pics up tonight to show you what it looks like. AN/PVS-14 pics can be found all over the net, but I'll try to dig some up from my old computer.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
For less then $500, you're definatly in the Gen I intensifier class. ATN, Yukon, Bushnell and the like all have "consumer" grade NVD's. Be aware that a Gen I tune like you're discussing has issues. It needs ambient light (never mind what the ads say civilian grade IR iluminators are for close work only), the image will be grainy, and you will have a "fisheye" effect to some extent or another. If your only experiance with NVD's is COD4 you'll be disappointed in it. Gen II and up are really a quantam leap better tech, but will cost slightly more then twice.

Don't get me wrong, a Gen I tube will work, and is pretty cool to play with, especially if you don't use the better stuff. You can scan feilds at night for predators, watch neighbors, look at nocturnal creatures, and navigate boats at night with them. If you're planning any "serious" work (hunting, real survellence, full dark indoors weapons sight, stuff like that) you should save the money and get a AN/PVS-14 (or at least a -7).

For the consumer grade stuff, check out opticsplanet.net, they have a decent selection. For the more serious stuff hit some place like Tactical Night Vision (tnvc.com) but bring a credit card.

I have a ATN Gen I scope for playing around at home, I'll try to get some pics up tonight to show you what it looks like. AN/PVS-14 pics can be found all over the net, but I'll try to dig some up from my old computer.

Pics would be great, and no COD games for me.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
PVS-14's or go home

ANVIS 9's are what I use. Do you mean how do they work as far as how good are they to use or do you want to know how NVG's actually work? You want to geek out and hear about microchannel plates, phospher screens?

I have a Insight Technology PVS-14 NVM which uses Litton Ind. Generation 3 electronoics, it has both low ambient light and infrared modes and can run on either 1 DL123A battery (40 hours) or 1 AA batery (20 hours). On my AR I have it co-witnessed with a EO Tech 551 NV compatable holographic sight. The NVM can be detached from it's Picatinny rail mount and hand held or mounted on a helmet or head band mount, I have a head band mount when I want to go hands-free. It's an excellent piece of equipment and was about $2,200 when I bought it new 2 years ago.

Insight Technology Products

dcp_2928.jpg

Billede010-2.jpg

What do you want to use it for, and what is your budget? My Gen 1 night scope works. My PVS-14 works way better.

damn I need you guys as neighbors. You could see the burglars at night & shoot the hell out of them or call me to shoot them.

I know at least 2 or 3 of you are military!:bowdown:

dogmush

Established Member
OK, Here goes. Remember that I have a crappy P&S digicam, so the optics (all of them) look a little better in person. I used the same camera for all these shots though.

Gen I + (ATN 4x rifle scope) taken off my back porch at my grill about 15' away. Overcast and rainy, some light from the room behind me.
Ambient light:
PB110015.jpg

Scope on:
PB110013.jpg

Scope and IR on:
PB110014.jpg

These pics show the grainyness and fisheye effect of a Gen I tube really well. Also notice how the -14 reaches out into the field really well below, while the ATN really has problems with the orange tree about 10' past the grill. It's also a lot brighter in my yard then it was on the range.

PVS 14 (Gen III) on a machine gun range at Hunter-Ligget CA, Overcast, no moon. Slight glow behind the mountains. Very low ambient light.

Ambient Light
Hunter-Ligget056.jpg

PVS-14
Hunter-Ligget053.jpg

(note the bright spots out in the feild are cast by chem lights on a tower behind me. Red smear is a .50 cal tracer)

ETA: I have no idea if a MILSPEC AN/PVS-14 is different then what you can buy on the market, but for those wondering, while I was on a military range those -14 pics were taken through a privatly purchased and owned NVD (since sold, I needed the cash). I wouldn't post pics of military NVD's on the internet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread