Nitrous car selection

Enileate

Established Member
Im in the market for a new mustang. The car will be primarily a daily driver and will see track duty a couple times a year. I will run drag radials, the car will have a automatic transmission. What gear ratio will work best? If i add torco fuel additive to the tank will i need to run a tune for a 100 shot?

Thanks for any help

nonliberal

Established Member
Im in the market for a new mustang. The car will be primarily a daily driver and will see track duty a couple times a year. I will run drag radials, the car will have a automatic transmission. What gear ratio will work best? If i add torco fuel additive to the tank will i need to run a tune for a 100 shot?

Thanks for any help

The auto cars only come with 3.15 gears. You can probably get away without the tune if you know how to tune nitrous properly, but personally I wouldn't even take the chance on a new car you don't even have yet.

NTXRockr

Established Member
Stock tune is so fat and retarded that the nitrous companies even advertise using a 100 shot on the stock setup. If you get a custom tune, get a second one for nitrous...rule of thumb is pull 4* for first 100 shot and 2* for every additional 50. A dyno tune with a/f is even safer to really dial it in. Torco isn't necessary until you get past a 150 shot but if you tune for it knock yourself out. (Haha at my unintended "knock" pun lol)

As far as gearing, 3.15 is the only stock option...spring for at least 3.73 but I'd recommend 4.10 or 4.30 if you want a fun dd and a decent track toy. I personally run 4.10s and on a 150 shot on 93 octane I ran 6.7@104, with plenty left in it tuning wise. Your biggest enemy will be traction, so I'd recommend lca's and possibly brackets to really make it a viable track car.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Enileate

Established Member
Thanks for the replys

A good set of drag radials, lca's, 410's and a 100 shot. What kinda ET could reasonably be expected?

9secWS6

Established Member
I have a similar setup(mods in sig). and normally run 10.4xxs. I have been a best of 10.29 and a few 10.30 in good air. Thats on 150hp shot.

calebnumber3

Established Member
^how do you like your 3:73's? i was going to go with them, but thought for street fun 3:55's might be better, especially with spray. cant make my mond up lol

NitrousExpress

Established Member
It's always better to have a tune. You can get away with it, with 1 step cooler plugs and a minimum of 93 octane, but a tune will make the car run alot better, and you won't have to worry..

-Garrett

9secWS6

Established Member
^how do you like your 3:73's? i was going to go with them, but thought for street fun 3:55's might be better, especially with spray. cant make my mond up lol
I mainly went with 3.73s because of the Boss IM and it works good for me. Im sure the 4.10 would be better on paper but I do a fair amount of hwy driving. I think 3.55 would be a good choice if you have the stock intake manifold.

calebnumber3

Established Member
I mainly went with 3.73s because of the Boss IM and it works good for me. Im sure the 4.10 would be better on paper but I do a fair amount of hwy driving. I think 3.55 would be a good choice if you have the stock intake manifold.

I have the boss IM waiting in the garage, so you think the 3:73's will be better than the 3:55's?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
when selecting a gear/ tire on nitrous. Theirs more involved then just picking a few parts. Theirs math behind it. A taller gear with a taller tire will drop your ET and MPH (rotational issues)

On my car with the Reaper H/K kit (125 dry) I was able to cut a 1.57 short time with a 10.83 up top @126. This was on a 3.15 gear, BOSS Manifold, JLT, and a ORX. Suspension was BBR LCA's, WH PH Brace, and a BBR PHB. The tires were a 285/40/18 NT05R which is a 26" tall tire on a 18" SVE wheel . And that was key. A 3.15 gear can work with a 26". Not a perfect combo but it will work. Now that I'm on the plate kit, I can run a 28" but the gears will not work. So I will be stepping up to a 3.73 here shortly. This way I can run a real 15" tire too.

I would tune the car no matter what the shot is. It's only making everything safer. Either dry or wet. Both will be a fun experience for you. Now that I re-did my suspension and going to use a better 26" tall tire, I'm hoping to see a .30 pass here shortly. First time out on it with old set up I blew the tires off but went a 11.21 @ 128mph. The MPH is what made me a little happy. Just need to get it out of the whole which is key to any race.

If your looking for a kit, I would look at our Reaper H/K System. For under $350 right now, you have a 10second set up. And with support mods, a low 10second set up. This kit is more then half the cost of others.

But if you have one, dial it in with supporting mods and have fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

9secWS6

Established Member
I have the boss IM waiting in the garage, so you think the 3:73's will be better than the 3:55's?
IMO yes, I still run decent on motor and still get decent MPG on the hwy.
Not a "perfect" all out race setup but a good compromise for what i do with the car.
Tuning is key as well, BBR did my tunes and they are spot on. Driveability and WOT are damn near perfect! Great customer service as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread