Nitrous Tune Questions

mjohns930

Established Member
When running nitrous on the newer 5.0s I see all this talk of nitrous tunes. What is it specifically in the tune that needs to be done so it is safe with a 100-150hp wet shot of nitrous? Also is there any amount of nitrous that can be ran on these cars without a tune? Maybe 50-75hp?

I have searched and I found plenty of stuff about who to get to tune it but not what goes into it. I am not looking for trade secrets of how much to tweak something just looking for what it is that is changed.

Thanks

CharlieR

Established Member
I have been argued with as to weather or not a tune is needed. But it is, wet, dry, before maf or after doesn't make a bit of difference it needs to be tuned to keep torque management, O2's or Drive by wire from "taking control" and costing you an engine.

Stuff to be changed: TQ management & DBW, Commanded Lambda(A/F), timing, if a dry kit fuel should be added to prevent "lean spikes". Wet kit needs lambda changed to keep injectors from backing fuel out to compensate for the "kit" fuel. Hope this helps.

Nitrous Outlet

Established Member
A tune is definitely recommended for even a 50 shot. The reason why is that timing is going to be the number one killer of a motor with FI or nitrous. With to much timing you will nip the plug and kill a piston. Always tune!

With the new computer systems, you do need to take control of other parameter other than timing.

NitrousExpress

Established Member
It is pretty important to have a tune if you plan on spraying. You can run nitrous without a tune, but the car will run better and ultimately be safer with a tune. BBR can get you taken care of in that aspect.

-Garrett

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
A tune is definitely recommended for even a 50 shot. The reason why is that timing is going to be the number one killer of a motor with FI or nitrous. With to much timing you will nip the plug and kill a piston. Always tune!

With the new computer systems, you do need to take control of other parameter other than timing.

It is pretty important to have a tune if you plan on spraying. You can run nitrous without a tune, but the car will run better and ultimately be safer with a tune. BBR can get you taken care of in that aspect.

-Garrett

Well said by both!!

Users who are viewing this thread