nitrous?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
what nitrous systems are you guys running? gotta have something to give me the edge over the occasional zo6, and other 03's:burnout:

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Been doing alot of research on nitrous and the various systems. Not sure that a dry shot is the way to go. Specially, before or after the maf. A wet nitrous system that is incorporated and mixed with the fuel system is a safer bet. You are looking at lots of dyno time to get the right tune with nitrous. Be prepared to spend some money. A good nitrous system is not cheap but you will reak the benefits in hp and torque.

03InThe11s

Established Member
im trying to stay away from a wet system, i dont want to go with more than a 50-75 shot. i was thinking about the nitrous in a bag kit from compucar, but i think i want to go with a more permanent system. something about having a nitrous bottle bouncing around in a duffle bag in my trunk just doesnt appeal to me.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Definitely go with a small dry shot. Search for posts by hotrodharry. He can tell you everything and more! A 35-50 shot is all you will need. Place the nozzle before the MAF and the computer will do the rest; no need for a separate nitrous tune. You can piece together your own kit or get the compucar and permantly mount it if you like.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
If/When I go the n2o way, it'll be an NX wet kit, with the nozzle at the plenum after the t-body. Might go as high as 100 shot.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Definitely go with a small dry shot. Search for posts by hotrodharry. He can tell you everything and more! A 35-50 shot is all you will need. Place the nozzle before the MAF and the computer will do the rest; no need for a separate nitrous tune. You can piece together your own kit or get the compucar and permantly mount it if you like.

You better get your facts straight. No need for a seperate nitrous tune? lol Please don't take this guys advice. This is the problem with a dry shot before or after the maf. You will either get pulsations, hesistations or surges. The nitrous won't be a constant flow for the most part. Plus the nitrous has to travel a long way where it loses it's effectiveness. Nitrous can be a huge contributor in detonation therefore a proper tune is necessary.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
You better get your facts straight. No need for a seperate nitrous tune? lol Please don't take this guys advice. This is the problem with a dry shot before or after the maf. You will either get pulsations, hesistations or surges. The nitrous won't be a constant flow for the most part. Plus the nitrous has to travel a long way where it loses it's effectiveness. Nitrous can be a huge contributor in detonation therefore a proper tune is necessary.

I've run a 50hp, 75hp, and now 100hp DRY shot of juice on top of my 17psi of boost and I can tell you emphatically, you NEED to tune in ANY nitrous setup. Properly tuned I get no hesitation, no pulsations, no surging, no dangerously lean air/fuel ratio (have an FJO wideband in the car). A wet system hooked up to a returnless car is a ticking time bomb with anything bigger than a 75hp shot. The problem is how the fuel is delivered off the rail and how the PCM has trouble compensating for an immediate drop in delta_P. If you intend to run bigger than 75hp WET shot, you will need to either have a stand-alone fuel system (return style) or put together a hybrid system which runs returnless when you are not spraying and return-style when you are.

MJ

P.S. Don't spray into the MAF (you run the risk of freezing it), spray after the MAF and get a second tune.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR

:rollseyes LOL ok bud thanks :rollseyes

I dont know how long you have been on this board but there are many others running the same kit as me without tunes and awesome results. If your tune is good to begin with as far as air/fuel ratio, you can spray a small shot into the MAF with no problems. Now when you get up past 50 shots, then yes I would want a tune.

Darcsun

Established Member
Has anyone found a direct port system for the 03 Cobras? I ran a dry 125 shot on mySOHC 4.6 with zero issues once the tune was set and proper fuel system was in place. However, the best gains at the track seemed to be direct port set up's, such as TNT or NOS kits. I love the power of N2O, but I need extra insure before I juice a new ride.

grnenvy

Established Member
I guess will chime in. My car makes 490hp/509 tq tuned by JD's. With the nitrous the car makes 565hp/705tq with a 60 shot before the meter. I took the car to jd's after I installed the nos kit just to make sure that the tune was ok. With a small shot you should not need a tune but have it checked. Don't listen to anyone person on this board all cars are differant. I use the same program for the nos as with the nitrous. All you have to do is use a little race gas or torco fuel additive. With the additive and my set up I'am nice and safe with a 60 shot. With this setup I have no problems with surge or bog or anything. Also don't forget you need the right plugs + gap and I like the Kennybell Boost-a-spark that is on my car I think it helps with the fuel burn when using the nitrous. GOOD LUCK

03InThe11s

Established Member
thanks for all the advice guys! more than likely im going to go with something less than a 50 shot, and i will def. have some tuning done. again thanks for the advice!

slvrsnake

Established Member
I am also interested in having like a 35-50 shot before the maf. I have heard of many 03 cobras having this setup and I've heard of only ONE person who froze the maf, and he was doing a 75 shot. So I don't think freezing the maf is a problem at all if you are staying under a 50 hp shot.

I would definately get it dynoed to see if everything is safe and IF you need a second program to run the nitrous. Some people do and some people don't.

I have a few questions though. I have some Nitrous Express stuff laying around that I'd like to use. I would like to have a setup like the compucar nitrous in a bag system. What do I need for a setup like that?

Also, I don't like the idea of having the button in my hand and pressing it while shifting.
MJchip, I read that the MAFterBurner has a window switch as well as a WOT switch. If I did a 35-50 shot before the maf, can I add a little bit of fuel with this setup just to be safe and not to get another tune?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by slvrsnake
MJchip, I read that the MAFterBurner has a window switch as well as a WOT switch. If I did a 35-50 shot before the maf, can I add a little bit of fuel with this setup just to be safe and not to get another tune?

Yes, that's what I use and it works extremely well. It allows me to add enough fuel for a 100hp shot with the 55lb/hr SD injectors. However, I'm also running a BAP in order to insure that there is enough overhead on the fuel pumps.

MJ

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
NOS

Okay - every car is different. My car is pig rich from about 3800 rpm and up - were talking 10:1 and worse. Iam not new to NOS have been running on 460 w/150 shot for years ( 10.90@124 mph) just new to returnless EFI.Here is my plan, 30 or maybe 40 dry shot after the T/body ( thinking behind this is I don't want to get even fatter by placing it before MAF )- checking A/F and only using from @ 4000 rpm's and up. Hopefully leaning out and cooling air charge. Comments - Questions - Help ??????

Thanx

Users who are viewing this thread