Nitto 315 DR Question

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
OK, I'm thinking about getting a set of 315/35/17 Nitto Drag Radials to put on my 03 anniversary wheels. Got 2 questions:

1. Will they fit on the stock wheels?

2. How are they in the rain? (Compared to the stock F1's)

Thanks,

Ed

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
They fit fine...no spacers required....they hold in rain but you can't be driving like you do on dry pavement. When entering into cloverleaf-type curves just follow the speed limit and you will be fine. Like everything else you need to adjust your driving to the roads at hand.

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
They fit fine...no spacers required....they hold in rain but you can't be driving like you do on dry pavement. When entering into cloverleaf-type curves just follow the speed limit and you will be fine. Like everything else you need to adjust your driving to the roads at hand.

I hope the cloverleaf-type curve speed limit thing is only on wet roads, not dry. I like the twisties on a dry road!

ralphy1798

Established Member
They are fine, go with them!!!

I was worried myself, but i got them 3 weeks ago and drove with them in the rain a bunch, they are just like 1/2 bald F1's. Until you heat them up then they are like 15F1's put together!!!

Jeff

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Yes they will fit the stock wheels. (which are 9" wide) This is mainly because the Nittos size a little on the small side for a 315. I have a set on my 10th anniversary wheels.
A "normal" 315 would be a bit wide for a 9" wheel.

Billy

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
What kind of 60' times are people pulling with the 315's? The best I could manage with my F1's was a 1.78 and they were bald.

Curious to see if the tires will put me in the 11's. The bald F1's would launch the car fine, but would not hold the power when powershifting between gears.

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Originally posted by Viper_ed
How are they in the rain? (Compared to the stock F1's)

Thanks,

Ed

If the road is just a little wet without puddles they are marginal. If you hit a puddle at speed they hydroplane like a mother****er. I had a butt clenching experience and I'm lucky I didn't seriously injure myself and total my car.

I was cruising on the hwy at 50 in 6th. No power just maintaining speed. Hit a puddle and the fronts stuck and the rears hydroplaned big time. This happend twice and now the DRs only get used at the track.

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Nitto 315 DR Question

Originally posted by Yuckfou
If you hit a puddle at speed they hydroplane like a mother****er.

That's what I'm afraid of. Granted I don't purposely drive the car in the rain, I do try to avoid it, but there are those times that you do get caught in it.

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Nitto 315 DR Question

Originally posted by Viper_ed
That's what I'm afraid of. Granted I don't purposely drive the car in the rain, I do try to avoid it, but there are those times that you do get caught in it.

Exactly. I was on a summer road trip and got caught in a downpour. Water filled ruts and puddles are the worst.

They are great at the track. I laided down a 1.73 60' and they hook so you almost eliminate the hop. You put down an awesome 60' on the F1's.

I bought some new rims and mounted some kick ass rain tires that work very well in the dry also. The DRs are mounted on my chromies and get installed when I go to the track which is pretty rare. Pick up some extra rims for the DRs.

Keith

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
I don't want the hassle of changing wheels. My stock F1's are finall shot at 6k miles and I want to replace them with as wide of a tire as I can that is also going to help the car hook. I'm lucky if I get to the track once a year. Car is mainly street driven. You know to go get ice cream and dust off Vetts and F-bodies!

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I just got in my 315 Nittos. Look awesome. I can't wait to ge them on my car. I too am worried about the rain, but I guess if you dont drive like a bad out of hell on wet roads and avoid puddles and ruts, you should be fine. They look SO much better than the stock F1's and they are about 1 1/2 - 2inches wider. Good luck!

BTW: I got mine from Discount Tire Direct and it literally only took ONE day to get to my doorstep!!! I ordered on Wednesday about 2pm and got them yesterday at 3pm! AMAZING! Plus shipping is free. Can't beat that. Needless to say I was shocked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread