Nitto 555 DR's or Toyo R888 for FRPP 20" Wheels?

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
Hey guys, so I picked up my beast today and just doing some research on some needs. I noticed today on my drive home that the stock tires just do not have a chance for hooking up 1-2-3rd gear with any aggressive driving. I am contemplating purchasing either the Nitto 555R drag radials in 305 35 20 or the Toyo Proxes R888 in the stock 285 35 20 size for my 2012 FRPP rear wheels. Any advice on which is the better choice?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
The Nittos specify a recommended rim of 10" FWIW.

They are also a bit taller (.88").

I suspect both are about the same in wet weather (not great). The Nittos are wider.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Either will fit fine.

Nittos as a brand run narrow for their advertised size to begin with.

While both are soft compound tires their intended uses are quite different. R888 - road course with very good traction. Nitto drag radial.

The R88 will do much better in the rain than the Nitto. R88 are more expensive.

Kenneth

Established Member
I ran the Nitto's on my 2006 Mustang GT at 556RWHP for street tires.
You just have to use common sense when driving on wet roads, besides that they are an awesome tire for the street.

Also the 305's do fit the PP rims fine.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
Thanks guys. I appreciate the posts and very useful info. I like that the NT555R is a true street drag radial and runs a little smaller than the comparable brands of the same size. I also heard that the Nitto NT05R drag radial is really nice for traction. Unfortunately, they dont have the correct size for our wheels. I wish our rear wheels were 20 x 11!

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
That's why I got the Steeda Spyders; well that, they were locally available and the price was right. :)

They look sweet. I would go this route but I love the way the FRPP 20" wheels look. I think I am going to try a set of the Nitto 555 dr's in 305/35/20 and use the SCT I plan to order to set the speedo right.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
R888 - fine traction for the strip as well as road course. It has more versatility than the Nitto. Google vids of the R888...plenty of big hp cars running it.

Users who are viewing this thread