Nitto 555R 315s and Steeda Sport Springs

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I ordered the Nitto 555R 315/35ZR17 on Monday and now I am thinking of getting springs in order to drop the car some and improve handling. I did a lot of searches, but I can't find anything about lowering the car with 315s. Will the tires rub if I lower it? I am thinking about going with the Steeda Sport springs. I prefer Eiback Pro Kit when it comes to handling, but it is a harsher ride. I had them on my 1995 GT with Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks and the handling was incredible.

Right now I'm just worried about the tire hitting the IRS bolt or wheel well if I lower it. Has anyone with 315s lowered their car?

Also, any feedback on the Steeda Sport Springs for the 03 would be appreciated.

Brad

Banned
I would like to know about this too, my car is very dropped and nittos are on the way, not sure they are even going to fit.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have MM coil-overs with 555R 315s and my car is currently lowered ~1/8" in the front and 1 1/8" in the rear. I have almost 3K miles on them and have had no rubbing at all.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Although I don't have the Nitto 555R 315/35ZR17 installed (yet), I can tell you that you should be just fine as far as wheel well clearance is concered. Here's a thread with some pics of my 'vert with the Steeda Sport springs.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34092

IMO, it sits perfect now. I wouldn't go ANY lower. It's already a 'challenge' when going over speed bumps, etc.

Since the pic's, I've added some wheel spacers. IMO, it's absolutely perfect.

Good Luck.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Cools thanks, I got them installed today and man do they stick, and they aren't even broken in yet. They look great. I ordered them from Discount Tire on Monday and they were on my doorstep today for $320 shipped. 1-800-589-6789 ext 433 (JASON) Ask for the SVTOA discount. I definitely need to get the car lowered now.

Cobra-R, where exactly did I post this thread? I must have been in another board when I hit the thread button...heh. Thanks for moving it.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Toofast4u, what's the ride quality like, harsher? Also do you have any pictures. I am leaning towards the Steeda, because I've heard they ride really well, but I think I would like to see the car lowered a bit more, or maybe it's just because Stangfan's havn't settled yet. But the rear looks like it went down one finger which isn't even an inch. Then again, I'm sure the car handles a lot better.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Hawkls1, yes they fit on the stock 17x9 rims. If you get Nitto's you can keep your stock tires as spares for your front since you can't rotate the tires. Mine are going in the crawl space above my garage, with the rest of my stock parts :)

If you do a search you can find pictures of them. Lot of people have them. The guy at the tire place wasn't sure about them since they were rubbing against the IRS bolt when the suspension was lifted, but I told him to trust me and when he set the car down there was plenty of space.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
Toofast4u, what's the ride quality like, harsher? Also do you have any pictures. I am leaning towards the Steeda, because I've heard they ride really well, but I think I would like to see the car lowered a bit more, or maybe it's just because Stangfan's havn't settled yet. But the rear looks like it went down one finger which isn't even an inch. Then again, I'm sure the car handles a lot better.

My car rides quality is the same or better then stock IMO. It is no harsher then my friends 2003 Corvette Z-06 and mom's 2002 BMW 3-series. Handling is substantially better the stock and I no longer have any understeer which was my motivating factor for doing my suspension. I am a major supporter of coil-over spring configurations and don't like and would never go back to the conventional spring location of the Mustang platform. Coil-overs have substantially higher wheel rates, ride better, and can be completely adjusted for ride height their only con is they are substantially more expensive.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Here is another.

btw, I use to have it lower, but it rubbed to much so I raised it back up until the rubbing stopped. Now it is very good.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
or maybe it's just because Stangfan's havn't settled yet. But the rear looks like it went down one finger which isn't even an inch. Then again, I'm sure the car handles a lot better.

The picture on my installation post was taken the day after (appx. 6 miles of driving) the spring install. Since then, they have settled about another 1/4" inch.

The handling has improved a good bit from the stock springs. Almost no body roll in tight corners. Either way (coil over or Steeda Sport) springs, I think you'll be happy with this mod.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 03&68cobras
Silly question. Do the 315's fit on the stock rims? My local tire store said NO!

The Nitto 555R in 315 do fit the stock rim I have them on my car now and have driven over 3K miles with no problems. A BFG or Michelin 315 will not fit the stock rim they are substantially wider.

Users who are viewing this thread