Nitto 555R vs NT05R - street use

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
The car should end up having approx 700 at the tires.
I understand that no tire will hold traction in first gear.
I want to be able to punch it in second and get traction.
My old 2010 had approx the same power. I used a MT 325/50/15 on racestars.
They held, but, way to much sidewall for street use. Do you guys think that 305/35/20 555R will work. If not, then I think that the 315/35/20 NT05R will have to be the tire is choice.
I will be getting custom wheels to fit the 305 or the 315 tires.
Thanks guys.
Ted

IA Shelby

Established Member
NTO5R will hold better than the 555r.

Just don't drive in the rain.

From what I have read I would consider the toyo r888. Not a drag radial but very good traction and more street able.

KENS96M6

Established Member
NTO5R will hold better than the 555r.

Just don't drive in the rain.

From what I have read I would consider the toyo r888. Not a drag radial but very good traction and more street able.

Interesting. This is the first time I have heard about the r888. I need something I can drive anywhere, within reason. Also would like to stay on the factory rims.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm no expert, but without changing your stock suspension I'd be surprised if you could find a streetable tire (Relative term, I know. lol ) that could improve traction significantly by themselves.

Marc

Established Member
Interesting. This is the first time I have heard about the r888. I need something I can drive anywhere, within reason. Also would like to stay on the factory rims.

Do a search on the R888 here on the forums. There is a 15+ page review on the tire. I had them 315s on my near 700HP cobra and they were awesome on the street.

RussZTT

Established Member
Do a search on the R888 here on the forums. There is a 15+ page review on the tire. I had them 315s on my near 700HP cobra and they were awesome on the street.
I'll be in the 750rwhp range after this weekend. I have thought about trying those but may end up going with 15's. Those R888 are $$$

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
Sorry. I will also be changing out the stock suspension.
Nitto would be my tire of choice, but I will look at the R888. 555R have a much wider range of tire sizes, compared to the NT05R. The Invos will not hold with that kind of power. Been there, done that.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Toyo is the parent company of Nitto, I think the 555R and R888 are almost the same compound. I loved the 555R as DD, I would probably try the Toyo for DD next, but I know the 305 555R fits the stock wheel well. What size is the Toyo? Anyone here use one on a stock wheel?
-J

IA Shelby

Established Member
Toyo is the parent company of Nitto, I think the 555R and R888 are almost the same compound. I loved the 555R as DD, I would probably try the Toyo for DD next, but I know the 305 555R fits the stock wheel well. What size is the Toyo? Anyone here use one on a stock wheel?
-J

The NTO1 is supposedly the same compound as the r888.

Husky44

Established Member
Sorry. I will also be changing out the stock suspension.
Nitto would be my tire of choice, but I will look at the R888. 555R have a much wider range of tire sizes, compared to the NT05R. The Invos will not hold with that kind of power. Been there, done that.

I was actually considering the Invos, and the local shop here has had great luck withthem (but mine's the first 13 Shelby they've seen). Running them on several CTS-Vs and spoke highly of them. Could you expound a little on what you had them on, and what your experience was?

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
I had them on my 2010 GT500 with 706 RWHP.
295/35/20 on the rear. I could break loose at highway speeds. They would be comparable to the stock tires on a 2013 with stock HP. If you leave the 2013 at stock performance, the Invos would be one step up from stock tires. They wear nicely. Quiet. Good on wet roads.
They just will not be able to give you the traction needed if you increase the HP.
Hope that makes sense.

Husky44

Established Member
I had them on my 2010 GT500 with 706 RWHP.
295/35/20 on the rear. I could break loose at highway speeds. They would be comparable to the stock tires on a 2013 with stock HP. If you leave the 2013 at stock performance, the Invos would be one step up from stock tires. They wear nicely. Quiet. Good on wet roads.
They just will not be able to give you the traction needed if you increase the HP.
Hope that makes sense.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

IA Shelby

Established Member
I would think the tread pattern would be better for the R888 in the rain :shrug:

I agree. In either case the r888 or nto1 would do better than a drag radial in the rain. None of the tires will have longevity. Price we pay for high hp and sticky traction.

Hardest thing is getting the correct sizes for the desired wheel set up.

cluscher

Established Member
The best traction you'll get is with the NT05r, but it's less streetable and will wear more quickly than the 555r. It all depends on what you want. If traction is paramount over everything else then the NT05r is your choice. If very good traction with a bit more confidence in the wet is what you're after then I'd go with the 555rs. The 555r will probably be a bit better in a straight line than the R888 because of what the tires are designed for, and they're probably very comparable in the wet.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I love my 555rs..305/35-20. Perform flawlessly in the rain.. awesome traction dry. Search up my thread on them.

Users who are viewing this thread