Nitto DR's in the rain?

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Hey guys, just posting this here since I know a lot of you guys are running the Nitto DR's. I'm gonna be getting some 18's with 305/45 DR's for the rear. Just wondering how they handle in the rain? I'm not expecting anything great, just wondering if it's scary or still driveable? Also, how is dry handling? I'm running a full Hotchkis suspension with BFG KDWS's right now, handling is awesome, but I'm willing to give some of that up for traction :) Thanks for the info.

tv's 03

Established Member
The nittos work great at first. As they wear, watch out. On my last set when they wore anything over 40 mph in a downpour would cause the back end to float around. Not comforting. When they were new they were great

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Thanks. I had to drive in the rain one time on my ET Streets, that was scary, back end was all over the place and I was only doing 25.

How many miles are you getting out of a set? I drive my truck pretty hard, not expecting to get more than 10k out of a set, just wondering what you guys are seeing.

tv's 03

Established Member
I got 6000 miles. But in the tires defense, they were 275/40's on a 8 inch wheel, which always wear funny that way. The center goes bald and there is still meat in the outers.

Others have reported 10-15,000 miles with a good alignment and proper wheel and tire mating

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
With a little wear they suck in the rain. That is why mine is sitting at home I was not even going to chance it on the interstate this morning, they are slippery enough when the roads are just a little damp.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Cool, thanks guys. I will be doing 305's on 10" rims, which is what Nitto recommends, so I'm hoping I can get 10k out of them. It'll be nice to actually get some traction on the street :) Guess I'll just leave her at home when it rains to be safe.

Bingo13

Established Member
I would not install the 305/45/18s on this car. They are not meant for our vehicle as your gear ratios will be way off and you will be adversely affecting the handling of the car. Depending on the wheel choice you are likely to have rubbing issues also.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
I would not install the 305/45/18s on this car. They are not meant for our vehicle as your gear ratios will be way off and you will be adversely affecting the handling of the car. Depending on the wheel choice you are likely to have rubbing issues also.

Agreed, thats way too much sidewall for a Mustang, but I believe hes running it on a truck.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Originally posted by Vrrooom
Agreed, thats way too much sidewall for a Mustang, but I believe hes running it on a truck.
Yup, these are going on a '02 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T, currently with stock 3.92's in the rear, soon to be a Detroit Locker and 4.10's :) Thanks again for the info guys. This has to be the busiest forum I've ever seen, I had to go back seven pages just to find my post from yesterday! :D

predator

Established Member
I have been very pleased with my 315 DRs. They wear great and handling is very good too. They really stick to the road.....or the road sticks to them (by all the stones I found lodged in my rear fenderwell!) . I don't drive in the rain, but have been caught on occasion and had no problem. Only about 2.5k miles on mine. :thumbsup:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by tv's 03
I got 6000 miles. But in the tires defense, they were 275/40's on a 8 inch wheel, which always wear funny that way. The center goes bald and there is still meat in the outers.

Others have reported 10-15,000 miles with a good alignment and proper wheel and tire mating

The reason they wore like that is they were over inflated. If you wear the center out before the sides you have to much air in them and are dramatically decreasing tread life and traction.

I haven't had a problem in the rain. I don't do over 60 mph in the rain and they are perfectly fine. My last set which was 315/17 lasted 1 year which was 8,000 miles on a 600 rwhp 03 Cobra daily driven.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Sweet, thanks guys. Can't wait to get 'em, it'll be nice to actually get a decent launch on the street instead of this -> :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread