Nj Exhaust Question...

Jman

Established Member
ok, well i was returning from the dunkin donuts with a friend and got pulled over for what the officer said "mufflers"... i was really nice gave my documentation but could not find my insurance... i grabbed my cell and started to call my sister since she was toolin around in my car since it just sits mostly... the officer kinda pissed asked "what are you doing" i mean i just grabbed my cell not thinking and i appoligized and asked if it was ok... he said yeah sure... well i have firefighter plates on the cobra, so he asked "whos the fireman" i replied that i was and he started quizing me with questions about my dept... (this occured in another town) but then gave me my papers back and said he's not giving me a ticket because i was a fireman... so whatever, everything is good... but just curious if he did decide to summons me, how much is the ticket? i figure its only a stupid equipment violation but would an officer have a good excuse to tow your vehicle? i mean its only an exhaust not like its a ghettoblaster with a rotted out pipe or a ricer with a fart cannon... i said it passed inspection like that but he said i could still get a ticket, just curious if for whatever reason if an officer can tow or impound your car for something minor as that... thank you in advance

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Inspection done by the DMV means on that day you were in compliance. If you are thought not to be in compliance with the law in regard to your exhaust, you can be cited with a valid inspection sticker as nothing stops someone from changing out their exhaust to go through inspection or after being inspected. Same thing applies to window tint. Typically your vehicle would not be towed, but there is always that possibility.

Jman

Established Member
ok i mean i did get pulled over around 2 in the morning and maybe the cop was just going fishing... i mean the cops find a lot of crap with just simple traffic stops... just don't want any suprises... what if in fact someone collects a couple of them? isn't it to the officers discretion to tow an "unsafe" vehicle... this just being exhaust doesn't make it unsafe i don't think, but more of a minor equipment issue...

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
if you have no cats it is illegal in NJ and I have heard your car can be impounded or a very heafty fine. Whether or not thats true i dont know but when I see a cop i get scared

Users who are viewing this thread