NJ LAW ON DRL... is there any?

Jman

Established Member
are daytime running lights mandatory on new cars in nj?
my sister is getting the run around from the dealer saying its not legal to reprogram her car to turn them off... thanks in advance...

CSD

Banned
Yes and no. Only time headlights are required other then in darkness is during rain and your windshield wipers are in use. Did your sister lease or finance the vehicle? If it is leased, the vehicle belongs to them. Thus, she is not permitted to alter anything on the vehicle.

Jman

Established Member
no as a gift i got her hids, and tint all around, haha
but drl dont like the hids and flicker off checked on the vw forums and its an easy switch with the computer they got some thing called VAGCOM... idk the guy at the service desk was just a tool...

STG

Banned
Yes and no. Only time headlights are required other then in darkness is during rain and your windshield wipers are in use. Did your sister lease or finance the vehicle? If it is leased, the vehicle belongs to them. Thus, she is not permitted to alter anything on the vehicle.

What am I missing? The question was, "are daytime running lights mandatoryu on new cars in NJ?"

The answer is an unequivocal NO.

As far as I know, the modification of leased vehicles is covered by private contract, not by New Jersey law.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
What am I missing? The question was, "are daytime running lights mandatoryu on new cars in NJ?"

As far as I know, the modification of leased vehicles is covered by private contract, not by New Jersey law.

As long as those modifications dont conflict with State Law. In some states if your car didnt come with HIDs, you are not permitted to put them in, lease or not.

CSD

Banned

Your missing my point that's what!

Yes, daytime running lights are NOT required.

But because I know the OP and have met him in person I went a little further with my answer so as to save his sister any future problems.

NJ 39:3-47.c No person shall alter the equipment or performance of equipment of any vehicle which has been approved at an official inspection station designated by the commission with intent to defeat the purpose of such inspection, and no person shall drive or use any vehicle with equipment so altered.

Like I said earlier, the answer is yes and no.

STG

Banned
Ford SVTFan,

The OP'sa question concerned daytime running lights and turning them off. Nothing was written about HIDs.

are daytime running lights mandatory on new cars in nj?
my sister is getting the run around from the dealer saying its not legal to reprogram her car to turn them off... thanks in advance...

CSD,

Since New Jersey DOES NOT REQUIRE DRLs, how in the hell can a New Jersey inspection test them? Since there is no requirement for DRLs, there can be no "intent to defeat the purpose of such inspection" and the State would not be able to go after a person who disconnects DRLs based on the code section you quoted. :banana:

Manufacturers require, by contract, dealers not to alter vehicles for liability and warranty reasons. A few years ago, Ford warned its dealers that the installation of huge wheels and tires on new trucks would void the factory warranty. (The letter reference engineering reports and tests showing longer stopping distances, reduced suspension performance, handling problems, etc.)

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Ford SVTFan,

The OP'sa question concerned daytime running lights and turning them off. Nothing was written about HIDs.

Nothing was written, except this...
Jman said:
no as a gift i got her hids, and tint all around, haha
but drl dont like the hids and flicker off checked on the vw forums and its an easy switch with the computer they got some thing called VAGCOM... idk the guy at the service desk was just a tool...

STG said:
CSD,

Since New Jersey DOES NOT REQUIRE DRLs, how in the hell can a New Jersey inspection test them? Since there is no requirement for DRLs, there can be no "intent to defeat the purpose of such inspection" and the State would not be able to go after a person who disconnects DRLs based on the code section you quoted. :banana:

Manufacturers require, by contract, dealers not to alter vehicles for liability and warranty reasons. A few years ago, Ford warned its dealers that the installation of huge wheels and tires on new trucks would void the factory warranty. (The letter reference engineering reports and tests showing longer stopping distances, reduced suspension performance, handling problems, etc.)

Although not required, the case law says that if you car comes equiped with safety equipment, you may not defeat it. Therefore, just because NJ law does not specifically mandate DRLs, if the car comes from the manufacturer with them, you may not defeat them.

STG

Banned
The aftermarket HIDs are illegal.

I will defer to your knowledge of case law, but since NJ doesn't require or test DRLs, the chances of getting caught are probably close to nil. (For the heck of it, how about posting a cite?)

I predict when the sister gets busted for illegal tint and headlights, she'll forget about DRLs. haha!

Last edited:

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Go to the VW forums and check with someone in your area that has VAGCOM. Alot of them have it on their laptops and would probably do it for free.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
The aftermarket HIDs are illegal.

I will defer to your knowledge of case law, but since NJ doesn't require or test DRLs, the chances of getting caught are probably close to nil. (For the heck of it, how about posting a cite?)

I predict when the sister gets busted for illegal tint and headlights, she'll forget about DRLs. haha!

That for sure we are in agreement. But I can see why the dealership is telling them what they are. It is not worth it to them to risk taking the chance. The dealership only has downside in this.

Users who are viewing this thread