No front license plate ?

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
OK, I know it is the law in TX to have a front license plate. I still do not understand the law. I don't think I will ever understand this law. I don't think it puts anyone else in danger if you do not have a front license plate. Let me tell you my sob story. (remember, I know it is the law and I should have one on my bumper) Going to work one morning in my 99 GT on HWY 59 (four lane HWY) SUV's speeding past me like crazy (I am driving the speed limit if not under) A SO approaching, look in my rear view mirror. To my suprise he does a u-turn in the road. Speeds up to my rear bumper as if I am an escaped convict. Stays there for a while as other vehicles speed past me. Then he passes me, pulls just about a half a car lenght in front of me. Turns around to look at my front bumper, hits his brakes and then maneuvers back to my rear bumper and turns on his lights. Now come on was all that really necessary when all he had to do was pull my plate from the rear and get all the info he needed without pulling me over. That's not all though. Remember it is about 7:30 am and I have an insulated cup in my cup holder with OJ in it. He gets my L&R and then looks at the cup and says "Is that coffee?" I said no it is OJ. I was sooooooo put off by this question!!!! Was he insinuating that it was alcohol at 7:30 am?

I have several friends that are LEO's and they do not pull over a car for no front license plate unless they are doing something else wrong, or the car looks suspicious.

OK, now for my brainstorm idea. What if, since no one with nice cars likes to drill the holes in their front bumper, we have a vinyl print shop copy the rear license plate and make a sticky cling for the front bumper. That way it would be there when you need it, and then you can remove it for car shows, etc. Would this work, or would this be illegal also?

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
We have front LPs on two of our five cars. Storm gets pulled over more often than I do for no front plate. I try to tell her, that it is just guys trying to "literally" check her out.

I did get pulled over awhile back for no front LP, by a female officer, but she wasn't much of a looker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Please use the Search Function before you post or rant. There was a huge thread on this less than 1 month ago.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
As stated above there were multiple threads about front plates and the reason behind them.

As far as your "vinyl" plate, that is worth a try. You should check the TX Code to see what it says about the plate, if it has to be metal, etc.

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
..........As far as your "vinyl" plate, that is worth a try. You should check the TX Code to see what it says about the plate, if it has to be metal, etc.

That was her point for starting this thread. She was asking the LEOs on this board if there was a reason a "vinyl cling" type plate wouldn't be legal. I believe, the other thread mentioned this , but there were no responses to it.

Oh and by the way, where are the front plates located on motorcycles? Are these not motor vehicles, which should abide by all motor vehicle laws? When a motorcycle is behind an officer in a patrol car, how does the officer run his plate?

Lawman85

Banned
Good Lord!!! The front license plate question again??? Will this ever be put to rest?

You could call the Texas DMV and ask them. If they say it is "ok", then you better get a letter from them or something to prove it because you will probably get stopped, and maybe cited for it. Officers on the street have to make decisions on what the code sections say. Some officers may not agree with the vinyl tag and would prefer you to explain it to the judge. The judge may not agree with the DMV and he may decide to make you pay a fine. The judge does not work for the DMV and vice versa. The only true way to guarantee not getting a ticket for no front plate is to..................put your front plate on.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Oh and by the way, where are the front plates located on motorcycles? Are these not motor vehicles, which should abide by all motor vehicle laws? When a motorcycle is behind an officer in a patrol car, how does the officer run his plate?[/QUOTE]
i agree, whats good for the goose should be good for the gander, i guess us dregs of society are just gonna keep getting fined for our improper equipment. :bs:
nice cars grey storm.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
STEEDA SNAKES said:
That was her point for starting this thread. She was asking the LEOs on this board if there was a reason a "vinyl cling" type plate wouldn't be legal. I believe, the other thread mentioned this , but there were no responses to it.

Let's see, there were no responses? I responded on the 4th post. Yours was the second, so there indeed was a response.

Oh and by the way, where are the front plates located on motorcycles? Are these not motor vehicles, which should abide by all motor vehicle laws? When a motorcycle is behind an officer in a patrol car, how does the officer run his plate?

I guess you would have to ask your legislators and elected officials where that plate is on motorcycles. L.E.O.s dont make the laws they just enforce them.

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
Sorry guys, I should have done a search first!! Didn't mean to drag up old news :rollseyes

I was wanting your opinion as LEO's on my traffic stop and to find out if a cling would be illegal. The other thread that I read did not have, or I did not see, a response to whether or not it was okay to have a cling on your front bumber.

I did find a guy on another thread who has designed a "no drill" bracket for the front plate and I have pm'd him. It's not that I do not want to run plates on the front, I just do not want the holes in the bumper when we take the cars to shows. So his bracket would be ideal.

Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
i agree, whats good for the goose should be good for the gander, i guess us dregs of society are just gonna keep getting fined for our improper equipment. :bs:
nice cars grey storm.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

greystorm

Mrs. Steeda Snakes
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Let's see, there were no responses? I responded on the 4th post. Yours was the second, so there indeed was a response.

I think he meant there was no response to the other thread in reference to the cling :shrug:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I guess you would have to ask your legislators and elected officials where that plate is on motorcycles. L.E.O.s dont make the laws they just enforce them.

I think this is one of the biggest/most-common mistakes that an angry driver falls for. I admit, myself included. There's LOTS of f'd up laws out there and at the heat of the moment, it's hard not to shoot the messenger ... er should i say, yell at the messenger. ;-)

First step is recognizing it. Second step is… actually doing something about it. Make no mistake though. It will be an uphill battle. You're voice will mostly fall on deaf ears and it's hard to make others who agree participate unless you make it extremely convenient. Like Online Petitions. However those are notorious for falling victim to the first obstacle, the deaf ears. :(

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
There are few cars that front plates looks good on (Fox body stangs look ok with them), but Cobras are fugly with them. If you are trying to pull someone over, most likely you're not looking at their front plate. Tint laws make sense. Seatbelt laws make sense. License plate laws don't fit in here. To the LEOs here: would putting it on your dash/pressing it up onto the inside of your windshield count as having it on?

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
T-...... To the LEOs here: would putting it on your dash/pressing it up onto the inside of your windshield count as having it on?[/QUOTE said:
Not an LEO here, but the law states that the plate must be mounted on the front of the vehicle (i.e. front bumper).

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
T-Bolt said:
...........To the LEOs here: would putting it on your dash/pressing it up onto the inside of your windshield count as having it on?

Not an LEO here, but the law states that the plate must be mounted on the front of the vehicle (i.e. front bumper).

Users who are viewing this thread