No more front plates or traffic cams in TX!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I know a lot of members on here hale from TX so I thought this would be of interest:

Texas Gaffe Means No License Plate = No Problem

Every motorist in Texas is now exempt from photo tickets from speed cameras, red light cameras and toll road enforcement cameras, starting January 1st, 2012.

Texas legislature left a key provision out of the latest version of their Transportation Omnibus Bill that penalizes drivers for not visibly displaying a license plate on their vehicle, reports TheNewspaper.com. [BILL]

Once this bill becomes law, it cannot be changed for two years because Texas Legislature only convenes every other year.

WarOnDriving.com writers, editors and affiliates do not condone dangerous driving or breaking traffic laws, however it is well within your right in the state of Texas to dismount your license plates from the outside of your vehicle and keep it somewhere inside, such as the cargo area.

This of course applies starting in 2012.

Not displaying your plate will ensure that you can’t be tracked and data mined by private corporations, Redflex Traffic Systems of Australia and American Traffic Solutions.

If you fancy your privacy, freedom from surveillance and exemption from proven fraudulent photo enforcement systems, which have been the subject of major class action and RICO lawsuits, 2012 is your chance to take some freedom back.

Go ahead Texas, take off that plate!

Source: Texas Gaffe Means No License Plate = No Problem | War On Driving

Read about it here first:
HPD

. . . oh, and I apologize to the repost police if this has already been posted, it's a big site and all . . .

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Not that I know of, but my guess is they won't be confirming an omission per se, and I'm sure LEO would just as soon you still had that plate on there so it's not like they're gonna tell ya either up front.

While there may be no penalty for it, not displaying a plate after 1-Jan 2012 is still PC for a stop, and you can bet if you decide to run no rear plate, you will get stopped.

When Gov. Goodhair stops acting like an idiot on a national stage, he'll call a special session of the Legislature which can easily fix this. Until then, I suspect municipalities will create city ordinances assigning a fine for not running two plates.

txyaloo

Established Member
this confirmed? like on the state website or something?

Go read the law Perry signed. There specifically is no penalty for running no license plates. The legislator who filed the bill cut it from one section and forgot to add it when he moved the license plate section to another part of the Transportation Code.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
While there may be no penalty for it, not displaying a plate after 1-Jan 2012 is still PC for a stop, and you can bet if you decide to run no rear plate, you will get stopped.

When Gov. Goodhair stops acting like an idiot on a national stage, he'll call a special session of the Legislature which can easily fix this. Until then, I suspect municipalities will create city ordinances assigning a fine for not running two plates.

Perhaps.

I'm not a legal expert and I don't wish to argue about it or what people should or shouldn't do. I just figured folks would be interested in reading this information.

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
This is why I never put my front plate on or drilled holes in the bumper :rockon:

Only got stopped 1 time for it in 3 and 1/2 years though. :D

txyaloo

Established Member
Perhaps.

I'm not a legal expert and I don't wish to argue about it or what people should or shouldn't do. I just figured folks would be interested in reading this information.

Perhaps to what part? It will still be illegal to operate a motor vehicle with no plates. The only thing that is changing is there will be no penalty attached to it. Since it's still illegal, LE still has the ability to stop you.

This is why I never put my front plate on or drilled holes in the bumper :rockon:

Only got stopped 1 time for it in 3 and 1/2 years though. :D

You have a time machine and knew 3.5 years ago that an idiot legislator would forget to add a penalty to a bill? How can we get a ride in it?

damn, I wish jersey would ditch the stupid front plates.... And I see traffic cameras popping up everywhere already...

We have lax enforcement of this in our state though. I've passed inspection twice without a front plate. Only stopped and ticketed in 1 town for no front plate and I just don't drive through there anymore. I've seen lots of Terminators without front plates here.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
We have lax enforcement of this in our state though. I've passed inspection twice without a front plate. Only stopped and ticketed in 1 town for no front plate and I just don't drive through there anymore. I've seen lots of Terminators without front plates here.

Amen to that. I broke the front plate off of my bronco back in august and I haven't had any problems. I know a few marauder people with no front plates (one guy with a 03 marauder with 18k miles on it, would be crazy to mount a plate on the front)

I know theirs only a few towns (at least around me) that are really strict on things like front plates, tint, and so on. My brother got stopped in Princeton a month ago over the tints on his charger, the cop asked him if he knew they were illegal, my brother said yes, the cop said well why do you have them? My brother said well because they look good. The cop said, Well, thats true, I'll let you off with a warning :D

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Amen to that. I broke the front plate off of my bronco back in august and I haven't had any problems. I know a few marauder people with no front plates (one guy with a 03 marauder with 18k miles on it, would be crazy to mount a plate on the front)

I know theirs only a few towns (at least around me) that are really strict on things like front plates, tint, and so on. My brother got stopped in Princeton a month ago over the tints on his charger, the cop asked him if he knew they were illegal, my brother said yes, the cop said well why do you have them? My brother said well because they look good. The cop said, Well, thats true, I'll let you off with a warning :D

I've also been running sans a lost front plate (commando??) for about 2 years. I regularly drive through Princeton and a lot of local towns. So far...so good. Shhhhh. (Good cop story above btw. Obviously he was a car guy. Cool.)

In Texas now that they dropped the plate and camera law I hear their radar guns are armed with a sniper rifle and a shoot-on-first-offense algorithm.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Since I am in the military I have my car tagged in IL (two plate state) but live in OK. OK is a one plate state and so I drive with one plate. A deputy county sheriff noticed this and told me to put the front plate on my car. I asked what OK law I would be violating and how would he word the ticket? Needless to say, no violation and I went on my way.

ModularFan

Established Member

Some cops aren't to strict on tint, some of them will only ticket for dark percentages. And of coarse politics come into play as well. the only ones really exempt from the tint law in jersey is LEO's Federal and Local.

Users who are viewing this thread