No more SVT Lightning?

SVT Cobra

Established Member
Ford has pulled the plug on the next-generation F-150 Lightning SVT pickup truck, instead putting all SVT's eggs into one basket - the SVT Cobra Mustang, due for 2006.

"It's a business decision," said Alan Hall, SVT spokesman. The official line is that the Lightning has been "postponed," and not killed, but if it is revived, it will be 2008 or later before we see one. SVT has gone from three vehicles in 2004 - the Lightning, the Cobra Mustang and the SVT Focus - to none in 2005.

Ford had already shown a concept version of the next-generation Lightning in 2003. The concept had a supercharged V-8 engine with more than 500 horsepower, in answer to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, which eclipsed the Lightning as the world's fastest production pickup in a test last winter. Ford was eager to regain the crown, but has decided to deed the performance pickup-truck market over to Dodge and its 500-horse SRT-10, and to a lesser extent, Chevrolet, though the heavy all-wheel-drive Silverado SS is not in the same category.

The Lightning debuted in 1993, with a 240-horsepower version of Ford's 5.8-liter V-8. Cobby and not that attractive, it was only a mild success, and was dropped in 1995. The F-150's redesign led to a handsome new Lightning for 1999, featuring a 360-horsepower supercharged 5.4-liter V-8. A handful of 2004 Lightnings, not much changed from that 1999 model except for a horsepower bump to 380, remain on dealer lots. Base price: $33,560.

Apparently, cost played a leading role in the decision, as the expense involved in developing and certifying a proper V8, and massaging the new-for-2004 F-150's chassis, was deemed prohibitive. Also, the next-generation Lightning's fuel mileage would likely continue to detract from Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy totals: The current Lightning is rated at 12 mpg city, 16 mpg highway.

Even so, this news will not be popular with Lightning loyalists, such as Mike Philpot of Heathrow, Florida, who paid full sticker price for his Lightning in July, 1999. "My '99 Lightning has been a fantastic vehicle," he says. "It has about 54,000 miles on it, and it runs better than new. Never any problems. I bought an extended warranty from Ford, but I could have saved myself the money. It has it all: good looks, comfort, good handling and, of course, all that incredible power. Hardly a day goes by without at least one positive comment on it from someone.

"Hopefully, Ford will change its mind. If they want to keep the F-150 the most popular truck in the world with all the competition that it has now, they had better continue with their halo vehicle."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101065

hope its not a repost, couldn't find it. anyways, this saddens and angers me at the same time :mj: :cryying:. what the hell is Ford thinking? a lot of loyal owners were looking forward to the new Lightnings. looks like the dodge ram srt10 is the king now :nonono:.

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
I read that before.. :fm:

Oh well, I'm glad I at least have the gen 1 and 2. :)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It's retarded decisions like these that make us all wonder how Ford continues to sell vehicles in quantities that they do.

SVT gets spanked by Dodge then runs for cover with their tails between their legs. :bash:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I got all my money on the timing of the Hurricane motor. Why develop a 450 or even 500 hp heavilly worked and expensive 5.4 when the F-series gets a simpler, cheaper 400 hp na motor around the same time frame? They are going to get stuck reworking a new motor and will loose probably about a year before being able to bring it back. They will finish the L and ford will go 'heres a new stronger, larger engine for half the price with more torque, try this' Thats my theory.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
me as a real lightning fan can see where ford is coming from here but then again this is my take on it, here comes a rant.... in that industry its not about popularity or who sells what more than who, its all about MONEY,,, the almighty dollar is the top model for any car maker and thats what it has to continue to make. thats the whole reason for new models, they try to shake things up a bit and sell more vehicles, ford cut production of the lightning in 95 and brought it back 4 years later... so can we see the lightning coming back as a 2008 model? god lets hope so, i for one would spend alittle over sticker price just to be first inline to get one of those bad boys... i mean come on a 2 seater roadster car inside of a pickup body with shaved door panels stock? what ford is most likley doing is going to let dodge come out with newer models of its SRT-10 and see where they go from there and then when everyone leasts expects it, unleash the lightning onto the streets and say "have fun people because dodge is dead" what they are probably looking at now is a work overload... they have no cobra concepts yet released to the public and they need to start producing something before the cobra and the lightning will go to production, my theory on the cobra getting priority is that the new mustang style will need something to back it up besides the new f-150's they are already selling enough of those to keep ford happy for now, so why release the L anytime soon. they are probably stressing to come out with different options and colors and styles of the truck since it is now a manual you are cutting a larger portion of the market because not everyone can drive a manual transmission car. if anything i hope if they dont care about production at least but its highly doubtful that they will give the option of "built to order" type of deal but that would maybe not worth their time for a car that is worth approx only $46,000 but... also we have the powerlease program... which many people were suckered into that because of the option to get a new and exciting pickup or cobra in 2007... what will happen there with all the people who want the lightning? so the way i see it one way or the other... the lightning will come again... we dont know how... we dont know when or even where but we just have to keep our ears up and our eyes open... because we all know sometimes every industry will purposley say one thing to get the crowd pissed and antsy and then when the item is released... everyone goes crazy over it... only time will tell now... sooner or later time will tell

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
How about some actual paragraphs and structure? It's hard to read one big sloppy slop of words.

As for the lightning . . . SVT had better make the new Cobra something really special to make up for the temporary loss of the Lightning.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Originally posted by Maverick Hunter
me as a real lightning fan can see where ford is coming from here but then again this is my take on it, here comes a rant.... in that industry its not about popularity or who sells what more than who, its all about MONEY,,, the almighty dollar is the top model for any car maker and thats what it has to continue to make. thats the whole reason for new models, they try to shake things up a bit and sell more vehicles, ford cut production of the lightning in 95 and brought it back 4 years later... so can we see the lightning coming back as a 2008 model? god lets hope so, i for one would spend alittle over sticker price just to be first inline to get one of those bad boys... i mean come on a 2 seater roadster car inside of a pickup body with shaved door panels stock? what ford is most likley doing is going to let dodge come out with newer models of its SRT-10 and see where they go from there and then when everyone leasts expects it, unleash the lightning onto the streets and say "have fun people because dodge is dead" what they are probably looking at now is a work overload... they have no cobra concepts yet released to the public and they need to start producing something before the cobra and the lightning will go to production, my theory on the cobra getting priority is that the new mustang style will need something to back it up besides the new f-150's they are already selling enough of those to keep ford happy for now, so why release the L anytime soon. they are probably stressing to come out with different options and colors and styles of the truck since it is now a manual you are cutting a larger portion of the market because not everyone can drive a manual transmission car. if anything i hope if they dont care about production at least but its highly doubtful that they will give the option of "built to order" type of deal but that would maybe not worth their time for a car that is worth approx only $46,000 but... also we have the powerlease program... which many people were suckered into that because of the option to get a new and exciting pickup or cobra in 2007... what will happen there with all the people who want the lightning? so the way i see it one way or the other... the lightning will come again... we dont know how... we dont know when or even where but we just have to keep our ears up and our eyes open... because we all know sometimes every industry will purposley say one thing to get the crowd pissed and antsy and then when the item is released... everyone goes crazy over it... only time will tell now... sooner or later time will tell

Whad ya say?...

Users who are viewing this thread