no more svt,no more cobra

karl hungus

Established Member
my friend works for ford in financeing.he told me svt is no more and the next performance mustang will be called the gt 350,not cobra.thats all he knew.he knows nothing about what motor,tranny etc,etc.:shrug:

freakshow12

Established Member
that was pretty much a given as shelby is back with ford and he owns the cobra name. it looks like the 2 seater cobra will come back with that name and we will see gt350's and 500's. its not a bad thing its a good time to be looking at fords. I can hardly wait for the new car.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Like others have said on here before....so I'll say it again....it's all hearsay to me and I'll only believe it when I hear it from Ford.

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
like i said too... wait about 8-9 months from now.. and wait for a press release from ford themselves and until then... ill be patiently waiting, if SVT is no more say good bye to my business to ford... because that is the only car that i like and love from them... on the other hand i believe its all hype... delay, delay, delay... the same thing happens with video games and videogame consoles... you know when something is announced they like to delay to get people pissed off and all hyped up so the second it is released, BOOM they go out and buy them... but none the less when the Lightning is released ill be the first one there to buy that sucker

Cobrahandler

Established Member
Motor Trend says the 2 seater Shelby Cobra will not be produced. Ford will focus on the GR-1? instead.
Motor Trend....current issue.

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Maverick Hunter
like i said too... wait about 8-9 months from now.. and wait for a press release from ford themselves and until then... ill be patiently waiting, if SVT is no more say good bye to my business to ford... because that is the only car that i like and love from them...

I agree completely. I'll be the first to buy the next generation SVT Cobra (make mine black please :D )

Cobra 2997

Established Member
What KevinB120 said...

This past weekend at the Ford Racing Innovation Drive at Ky Speedway, when the Ford people were asked about the next Cobra they said it most likely wouldn't be called a Mustang Cobra. It would be called "SVT Mustang" or "Mustang SVT", they also said spring or summer 2006.

Not sure if this is true or not, just what they were saying...

Last edited:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by freakshow12
that was pretty much a given as shelby is back with ford and he owns the cobra name. it looks like the 2 seater cobra will come back with that name and we will see gt350's and 500's. its not a bad thing its a good time to be looking at fords. I can hardly wait for the new car.

Wrong, Freakshow. Ford & Shelby settled in Court in the late 70's/early 80's (if memory serves). From then on, Ford owned "Cobra"- that is why they are SVT COBRA Mustangs- and Shelby had the right to use his name in conjunction with sports cars (Shelby Daytona, Series 1, CSX Continuation Series, etc).

Shelby has signed a new agreement with Ford to work with them again. I wonder if the Cobra (2-seater, v10) will make it. I think the GR-1 has a much better chance.

Bstix

Established Member
Saw the blurb about the Cobra (2 seat V10) in Motor Trend as well. Interesting that Ford agreed to let Rides film the devlopment of project "Daisy." After the NAIAS debut Ford said they were sending it back for design study to make it a little more curvy. After seeing it at the NAIAS I thought it needed to go back for study as well. Can't believe the study turned into an all out axe job. GR-1 probably makes more sense, but the appeal of two seats behind a V10 is hard to resist.

Fordy

Established Member
Originally posted by caraticuspotts
my friend works for ford in financeing.he told me svt is no more and the next performance mustang will be called the gt 350,not cobra.thats all he knew.he knows nothing about what motor,tranny etc,etc.:shrug:

I work for one of the biggest Ford dealerships around and I happened to ask one of our managers today about the Cobra and lightning, he said no word on the lightning but the Cobra is 100% scheduled for arrival late 2005. And even if SVT leaves, there WILL be another organization to replace them.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Looks at watch impatiently...I guess they had better get to arriving with that SVT then shouldn't they.

Justin281

Established Member
Re: Re: no more svt,no more cobra

Originally posted by Fordy
I work for one of the biggest Ford dealerships around and I happened to ask one of our managers today about the Cobra and lightning, he said no word on the lightning but the Cobra is 100% scheduled for arrival late 2005. And even if SVT leaves, there WILL be another organization to replace them.

We can only hope:)

Lawman85

Banned
Originally posted by crispy23c
Wrong, Freakshow. Ford & Shelby settled in Court in the late 70's/early 80's (if memory serves). From then on, Ford owned "Cobra"- that is why they are SVT COBRA Mustangs- and Shelby had the right to use his name in conjunction with sports cars (Shelby Daytona, Series 1, CSX Continuation Series, etc).

Shelby has signed a new agreement with Ford to work with them again. I wonder if the Cobra (2-seater, v10) will make it. I think the GR-1 has a much better chance.

Also in that law suite Shelby retained the ownership of all of the "GT350 and GT500" names. That lawsuit arose on the anniversary edition Mustang GT350.

Justin281

Established Member
I went to the aneheim show in cali and asked about the cobra and they said there won't be one and said blah blah blah, guy was full of shit. I believe there will be one and don't listen to anyone who works for ford cause they don't know shit, thats just my .02 i'm sure some poeple higher up know more but i wouldn't go by dealerships or sales people.

Users who are viewing this thread