no plate while driving ACROSS states

ksizzle

Established Member
This June I will be roadtripping my 05 Saleen from Oregon to Missouri... I made a licence plate mount so i wouldnt have to drill in the bumper... problem is.. it was riveted in so i need to cut it to get it off and im going to be using a bra for the journey and it looks like the bra has a slot for the licenese plate to slip into to. So either way i will need to take off my bracket and was curious if law enforcement will cite me for no plate even if i my plates are out of their state. And also the big question... i will be spending some time in MO and dont really want to put a plate on even thought they require it... Do officers typically pull over out of state cars with no front plate?, because i could say oregon doesnt require a front plate and im just passing through even though oregon does.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If your state requires a front plate, regardless of where you are driving you must have the front plate. Yes, you could lie and try to convince a L.E.O. that Oregon doesnt require a front plate. When caught lying, as is likely, you will certainly pay the price.

The easiest thing is to comply with the law.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
If your home state does not require a front license plate then the same would apply in the state you are passing through. You are passing through and a guest of the state. I would seriously doubt you would have any trouble at all.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I travel to MO from texas a LOT when I am in the states. I have a sister that lives in northern MO so it is a nice long weeked get away when I feel the need.

I don't have front plates on my car and have never been stopped for it. I was stopped for speeding once and the plate was not mentioned.

I don't think they really care as long as you are obeying the law. But as Adam has said ... better to put a plate in if you want to be sure to avoid the consequences. and if you are stopped DON"T lie about the requirement in your home state .. bad bad idea

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If the state requires a front plate, then you need a front plate. If the state does not allow right turns on red, then you can't make a right on red even if you home state allows it.

Now, chances are if you are stopped and you politely tell the officer that your state does not require it, you will not get a citation..... but you can.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
You have to follow the laws of the state you are in. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If the state requires a front plate, then you need a front plate. If the state does not allow right turns on red, then you can't make a right on red even if you home state allows it.

Now, chances are if you are stopped and you politely tell the officer that your state does not require it, you will not get a citation..... but you can.

Ive heard this one before..But if your state doesn't require a front plate and you don't have one then it really doesn't make much sense to pull someone over for it other than fishing.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
LostRacer said:
Ive heard this one before..But if your state doesn't require a front plate and you don't have one then it really doesn't make much sense to pull someone over for it other than fishing.

I pretty much agree with you. I don't see how a state that requires two plates can expect you to have two when you were never issued two. It DOES however give them probably cause to make a stop if they feel the need to check you and / or your car out. They don't necessarily need to be fishing. I would much rather a cop stop me and check me out and let me go than not stop someone who is in the neighbor hood for nefarious reasons because he is afraid it will look like he is "fishing".

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
I live in Kansas and we are only required to have one liscence plate. Our neighbors Missouri require two plates. I live on the border between the two states and therefor frequent Missouri. More than once I have had police do a double take looking at my rear plate because I didn't have a front plate. They see that's it's a Kansas plate and go back about their business.

I'm not sure if they would do this for other states as I'm sure they see plenty of Kansans and know we don't have two plates. Just letting you know that the Kansas City Missouri Police Department, and surrounding areas, do check the plates.

jean

Established Member
I am from Or too and i hold the plate on the winshield with suction cups on my cobra.I never being stop (just come back from a trip from SF)I being seen a lot of new car as Solstice or EOS with the plate in the winshield.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
RDJ said:
I pretty much agree with you. I don't see how a state that requires two plates can expect you to have two when you were never issued two.

The ability to drive is a privlidge, not a right issued by each state. Accordingly, they have the ability to limit it greatly. If they wanted to, the state could pass a law that says you can only operate a car while wearing a pink tootoo if they wanted.

Stay in your state, your fine. Venture out of your state, obey that states laws.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
The ability to drive is a privlidge, not a right issued by each state.

Agreed 100%

Lawfficer said:
Accordingly, they have the ability to limit it greatly.

Agreed 100%

Lawfficer said:
If they wanted to, the state could pass a law that says you can only operate a car while wearing a pink tootoo if they wanted.

Yes they could, however the ACLU would take it & the first person pulled over for driving without their tutu to court and the courts somewhere up the line would overturn it as an unconstitutional infringement on a persons right to wear a blue one if they wanted to (that whole self expression and unreasonable laws kind of thing)

Lawfficer said:
Stay in your state, your fine. Venture out of your state, obey that states laws.

Again you are going over the top with this one. State A, that requires two plates CANNOT demand that a person, whose home state B requires and issues a single plate, traveling through State A have two plates affixed to their vehicle while traversing State A. It is unreasonable for them to do so and again if they did it would never stand up in court. That does NOT preclude them from stopping the car from State B and ascertaining that they are in fact complying with the law as it applies to them however.

The "just because you can make a right turn on red in your state doesn't mean you can make one in a state where it is not allowed" is comparing apples and oranges.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
You need to obey the operational "Rules of the Road" for the state you are driving in. You have to follow the "equipment" regulations of the state you are licensed and registered in. I can't think of any state in the U.S. that would require you to get a front plate if one is not required in your home state, but since the first post states that two tags are required in Oregon, than yes you are breaking the law. As far as a summons, it is possible to get one, then it would be up to you where to go from there.

tistan

Established Member
If I live in a state that only issues one tag and go down to the dmv to get a second tag it is highly unlikely they will issue me a second tag. I think I will call on monday just to see what they say. If they say no I can't get another tag then how can another state write me a ticket for breaking a law that is impossible to comply with?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Although you must comply with the law of the state you are driving in, most states accept other states "registration" requirements in place of their own for out of state drivers. So the plate issue, inspection issue, etc, should not be a problem. That being said, it doesnt mean that a state cant choose to adopt its own out of state requirements.

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
repirocity; as stated above states respect the laws of other states, I drive all over America and never received an infraction for only having one plate when I went up north. If you do have two plate throw one up on the dashboard and 'splain your situation to the officer. He may just throw a warning. He gets to do his job and feel good and you get to drive away with only a small delay.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
DaleM said:
repirocity; as stated above states respect the laws of other states, I drive all over America and never received an infraction for only having one plate when I went up north. If you do have two plate throw one up on the dashboard and 'splain your situation to the officer. He may just throw a warning. He gets to do his job and feel good and you get to drive away with only a small delay.

While I agree 100% with the intent of your post ... throwing one up on the dashboard is not the way to accomplish it IMHO. in an accident it will become a flying guillotine. Having been in a rollover wreck or two that would not be my preferred flying object to come in contact with LOL!

I don't have front plates on my car. What I did was go to home depot and pick up a roll of velcro. I cut two strips of it and velcroed the plate to the passenger's side visor. A piece of velcro all the way around on both ends. Nothing on the plate is blocked and it is held securely to the visor. When the car is on a public highway the visor is down and the plate is visible to the front of the vehicle. when parked the visor is up out of the way.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
ksizzle said:
This June I will be roadtripping my 05 Saleen from Oregon to Missouri... I made a licence plate mount so i wouldnt have to drill in the bumper... problem is.. it was riveted in so i need to cut it to get it off and im going to be using a bra for the journey and it looks like the bra has a slot for the licenese plate to slip into to. So either way i will need to take off my bracket and was curious if law enforcement will cite me for no plate even if i my plates are out of their state. And also the big question... i will be spending some time in MO and dont really want to put a plate on even thought they require it... Do officers typically pull over out of state cars with no front plate?, because i could say oregon doesnt require a front plate and im just passing through even though oregon does.

I doubt you'll get pulled over for no front plate. You might get a ticket for it if caught speeding though.

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
RDJ said:

While I agree 100% with the intent of your post ... throwing one up on the dashboard is not the way to accomplish it IMHO. in an accident it will become a flying guillotine. Having been in a rollover wreck or two that would not be my preferred flying object to come in contact with LOL!

I don't have front plates on my car. What I did was go to home depot and pick up a roll of velcro. I cut two strips of it and velcroed the plate to the passenger's side visor. A piece of velcro all the way around on both ends. Nothing on the plate is blocked and it is held securely to the visor. When the car is on a public highway the visor is down and the plate is visible to the front of the vehicle. when parked the visor is up out of the way.
Actually what I was hoping is he'd chop his head off.:dw:
Yes, just like the TV shows,"do not attempt this at home" I understand there are ways to show the LEOs you are not blowing the law off while not complying with the law.

Users who are viewing this thread