No Power WTF!

97SVTStang

Established Member
Help me out guys. The car feels like it has no power, its just not pulling like it should I feel. I installed 4.56 gears and the car pulled like crazy. Then I installed the C & L 80mm MAF and here is where it started to go down hill. Then I installed the MSD Dis-4 with Ford Racing 9mm wires. So I started to work backwards. I removed the MAF and went back to stock and its better but not totally.

The car runs perfect, doesnt miss and idles smooth. I am thinkin the MSD is making something go wrong. I have eliminated the wires, and Iam 99 percent sure its not the plugs being that it runs smooth and I just changed the plugs about 3 weeks ago. So I am thinkin its either the coil packs or the gap on my plugs are too close. I am thinkin the stock coil packs cant handle the power the MSD is pushing through them. My plugs are non platnium and 1 step colder than stock due to the nitrous. I have them gaped at .035 is that too close? Now that I have a stronger spark should I open that gap up to .040 and see what she does.

Help me!

Last edited:

97SVTStang

Established Member
I am starting to think the IMRC's arent opening. It seems to pull pretty hard till it hits about 3,000 and it starts to loose power. How do I test my IMRC's?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Open hood, look down behind intake, (hard to see but posible with flashlight) you will see the cables hooked to the IMRC plates, Rev car above 3200 and you can see them pull open.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
does the dis4 offer spark cut rev limiter? if so, how much did you pay for it? THat would be a great feature for nitrous.

97SVTStang

Established Member
does the dis4 offer spark cut rev limiter?

Yes the DIS-4 has a low speed rev limiiter (2 step) that drops spark for staging and it also has a high speed rev limiter. Plus it has the ability to pull timing out at a set rpm. I paid about 300 bills for the box and about 100 bills for the tach adapters. It doesent really give you any power (I believe it will only give about 3 to 4 rwhp) The main reason I bought it was for the 2 step for staging and the timing retard. Plus that 2 step sounds really intimidating when you at a stop light and some little ass import is tryin to mess with you :D

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by black96cobra
this is a dumb question but what are imrc's??

IMRC = Intake Manifold Runner Control
they open up secondary intake ports ~3200 RPM for extra top end airflow....

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well the IMRC's are opening and closing as they should. I did install the MSD coil packs and it has gotten a little better but no 100 % yet. So any ideas? I am thinking opening the gap on the plugs and see what happens, yes, no??

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Well the IMRC's are opening and closing as they should. I did install the MSD coil packs and it has gotten a little better but no 100 % yet. So any ideas? I am thinking opening the gap on the plugs and see what happens, yes, no??

don't open them past .055" N/A

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well I am at .035" gap now thinkin about opening it up to about .040" or maybe even .045" But I do run a 150 shot and I have to be careful. I think it might be about time to spend some serious time on the dyno and try different gaps untill I find the right one.

97SVTStang

Established Member
I found my power and the car pulls like hell again. It was all in the plugs. I had the gap set at .035" and pulled the plugs and gapped them to .040" and the car run like shit, sounded like it was only running on 4 cylinders. So I took them out again and regapped them to .030" and I now have my power back. Looks like its time to hit the dyno and make a couple pulls with different gaps to find my prime gap. Anyone else using the MSD Dis-4 have this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread