no stop sign leaving parking lot got ticket for not stoping.

ryans01

Vacation in Iraq
Established Member
So I was leaving the bowling alley parking lot which is private property going onto a city street. There is no stop sign, and I don't completely stop as I look both ways (there is nobody on the road as far as I can see but there is a cop in the parking lot.) He pulls me over for not stopping, I get a ticket. I ask him if there is a law saying if there is no stop sign leaving private property do you have to completely stop and he says yes. I have searched the net and on here I can't find anything saying that's true or not. any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

P.S. I live in Idaho

2k3gt

Established Member
Hmm.. This is strange because I, personally, would always come to a stop when leaving a parking lot and entering a public roadway. Whether or not there was actually a stop sign there, it just feels like there should be one. With that being said, I have never heard of a law saying anything along the lines of "if there's no stop sign, you must stop anyway", so I'm interested to see some more responses.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Interesting, I'd think you would have to stop, I mean how many parking lots have a stop sign to enter the road, none.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Most states are may not require a sign or a line to be there, but still have laws on the books that say you are required to stop before entering a public street from private property. VA does have a law written with this wording. Not sure about the state where you got the ticket.

ryans01

Vacation in Iraq
Established Member
Most states are may not require a sign or a line to be there, but still have laws on the books that say you are required to stop before entering a public street from private property. VA does have a law written with this wording. Not sure about the state where you got the ticket.

This is what I am looking for. STOP is not on the road neither is a solid line. I am going to take a picture, I will post it up later.

Ryan

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
stops signs from private roads or driveways are meaningless. It doesn't matter if they say stop, go, yeild, fart, etc. They state laws always trumps whatever the sign says. If your state requires you to stop then you stop others don't.

If you are in a parking lot and there is a stop sign in the lot when connecting to another portion of the lot that sign is also meaningless. A LEO cannot give a ticket concerning private signage.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
stops signs from private roads or driveways are meaningless. It doesn't matter if they say stop, go, yeild, fart, etc. They state laws always trumps whatever the sign says. If your state requires you to stop then you stop others don't.

If you are in a parking lot and there is a stop sign in the lot when connecting to another portion of the lot that sign is also meaningless. A LEO cannot give a ticket concerning private signage.

This is NOT accurate information :read:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Post the code on the ticket so we can assist more.

Alabama requires that you stop leaving a private driveway or property no matter the signage.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
kinda crumby that he gave you a ticket. but thinking in my head here, i always stop before rolling out of a parking lot anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread