No ticket Q, just a thanks

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
to the State Patrol officer (motorcycle) in Washingon State who let me go with a warning yesterday. I suspect he was in a hurry to get elsewhere, since when he left he got the front end up a little on his bike....

Here's the situation: I'd spent an hour going all of 3 miles leaving the Mariner's rout of Baltimore yesterday. I'm irritated, and that's not a good state in which to drive. I finally get to I-90 and am doing the speed limit - I decide to move ahead of some traffic faster - not recklessly, I don't think, but faster than I should.

I see the lights on the bike in my mirror and the officer pointing to the side. I signal and pull over straight away, turn the car off, and hand the keys to my lady friend to get my registration and insurance card out of the glove box. I put my hands on the wheel (btw, it's gorgeous and the top is down.)

The officer (black fellow, crisp moustache, and damn BIG) asks me if I knew how fast I was going. "No sir." "I got you up to 80." "I knew I was speeding but didn't realize I was at 80. Sorry about that." and I hand over my license and registration, along with insurance. Turns out she grabbed an old card out of my glove box (I save those things for some reason) and he points this out to me. I apologize and take the current one out of my wallet - didn't want to dig around in the glove box for the other.

So speeding is mistake #1. Mistake #2 is giving him the wrong insurance card. Mistake #3 is that I didn't mention up front that I have a concealed pistol license (d'oh!) I try to call the officer over, but he holds up the 'wait one' finger. I'm feeling pretty stupid.

He comes back and I tell him "Sir, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I have a concealed carry license but there is no firearm in my car at this time." He nods, tells me that he's just warning me to slow it down, and to have a safe day.

If I were him, I probably would've given me a ticket. Every time I've gotten a speeding ticket (twice) I've never argued or made excuses - if I play with fire and burn myself, I deserve it, I figure. I was friendly and polite (you guys get enough crap as it is) and he was a lot nicer than he needed to be. If I ever see this guy remotely near a Starbucks, I'm buying him a cup of coffee.

Oh, and I slowed down and have been good since :) Anyway, if any of you are Wa State Patrol officers and you know the person I'm speaking of, seriously, thank him for me, will you? I'm sure I'll do something stupid again (I'm good for it) but still....always nice to say thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread