NO2 Explosion

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Was at the track a couple of weeks ago when I heard this BOOM!!! Sounded like a hand grenade. Well, I certainly wan't the only who heard it and alot of folks headed towards the starting line to see what had happened. I took my time, grabbed my camera, and headed that way. By the time I got there, they had already moved the car off the track.

Here are the 3 pics I took. The first shows how the explosion pushed the hood straight up. The second and third show what's left of the intake. I didn't get a pic which showed the damage to the intake manifold. I also didn't get a pic of the passanger headlight assembly and bumber cover which were little more than dangling.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Second pic

This guy, like me, had driven an hour or two to get to the track and was going to have to bumm a ride and arrange a tow back on a Sunday afternoon.

mystifiedworm

Established Member
That suxs. Should have done a little more tuning before hitting the track and the juice. Hope that he gets the car back together soon.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Thats why I will NEVER EVER use a wet kit on any of my rides!!! Fuel puddling will do that!

03DSGSVT

Established Member
Looks like it was just the intake tube that took the hit, he is lucky!

Read up on those wonderful plastic intakes on the GT's, and how they don't play well with boost, especailly Nitrous!!

If he is running Nitrous, he should be using a metal tube, and switch over to a Bullit intake at least...

Plastic = BAD...!

rocket5979

Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
Poor lil fella....Guess it was more than she could bear.....Oh,and isn't that a dry kit?

No it is a wet kit. Because you can see the fuel line and the nitro lines going into what is left of his intake there. It is kind of like a mix between a true wet kit and a dry kit. Either way that kit right there is THE WORST KIND to have on that plastic intake for the fuel puddling reason!! I mean god I would never use that type of kit on a modular engine. I would use straight dry with the fuel being added through the injectors or go with a wet kit like the Holley Nozzle system that has the attachments that go in between the injectors and the heads.

Users who are viewing this thread