Noise after c/c plates install...

bornatiger

Established Member
A few months ago I put c/c plates on the car. I also removed the iso's for a lower stance. It makes noises over a crack in the road, it's so sensitive it's ridiculous, lots of noise. Today I put the top iso's back in today and the noise is still there. I used the spacers and checked to see if my strut was hitting my hood.

Could my struts be making that noise?
How can I tell if the strut was fully extended?

TIA SVTP

bornatiger

Established Member
What is the complete setup you have? I've never had any noises from my front end.
b springs, tokico blues, 03/04 control arms, j&m c/c plates. the whole set up is about a year old, except the c/c plates.
The noise started when I put the c/c plates on, but I took out the iso's at the same time.

White96svt

Established Member
Noises can very significantly, different noises are caused by different things. What type are noise are you getting? A creaking noise, rattle, clunk, etc.... Removing isolaters can definitely cause more noise than normal, their entire purpose is to eliminate unwanted noise from to metal objects contacting each other in a pivoting location.

Toasted

Ive had j&m plates for only 2 weeks and they devoloped a clunking noise over any little bump on the road. Took me about 2 days to diagnose. Mine happened to be the bearings on the cc plates. They had some up and down play, drivers side was so bad you can see movement when pushing the front end up and down.

Make sure your strut nuts are on tight, if that doesn't cure noise I'm willing to bet its the bearings too. I called j&m and they will be replacing the bearings for free...

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago, just called on Friday and they haven't done a thing with them, my bearings were just sitting at their shop!! The guy on the phone apologized and said he'll look at them and have them sent here ASAP.

I regret getting j&m and not paying the extra 10$ for the maximum motorsports plates

Last edited:

bornatiger

Established Member
Noises can very significantly, different noises are caused by different things. What type are noise are you getting? A creaking noise, rattle, clunk, etc.... Removing isolaters can definitely cause more noise than normal, their entire purpose is to eliminate unwanted noise from to metal objects contacting each other in a pivoting location.
its a clunk and putting the top iso back in didn't change it a bit.

Ive had j&m plates for only 2 weeks and they devoloped a clunking noise over any little bump on the road. Took me about 2 days to diagnose. Mine happened to be the bearings on the cc plates. They had some up and down play, drivers side was so bad you can see movement when pushing the front end up and down.

Make sure your strut nuts are on tight, if that doesn't cure noise I'm willing to bet its the bearings too. I called j&m and they will be replacing the bearings for free...

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago, just called on Friday and they haven't done a thing with them, my bearings were just sitting at their shop!! The guy on the phone apologized and said he'll look at them and have them sent here ASAP.

I regret getting j&m and not paying the extra 10$ for the maximum motorsports plates
That sux. I will try tightening the strut nuts.
Are they gonna pay for your alignment too? They didn't offer to send you new plates?

White96svt

Established Member
its a clunk and putting the top iso back in didn't change it a bit.

That sux. I will try tightening the strut nuts.
Are they gonna pay for your alignment too? They didn't offer to send you new plates?

How about putting in the lower isos back in? Honestly they would probably cause more noise that the uppers considering how they sit down in the control arms. Being that it's a clunk, it may very well be the CC plates. Going from a rubber bushing design like the factory ones to a bearing can cause more noise as the bearings are more dense and won't deaden the noise nearly as much as rubber.

bornatiger

Established Member
i thought about putting them both in but through research learned that the lowers very rarely make any noise. Also found out that the "no iso" noise was more of a creaking noise than a clunk. I figured I would give it a shot anyways. Its actually obvious that its coming from up high. If it is the plates, I'm gonna be pissed.

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
Mine is making a clunk too. I have MM plates and have replaced everything in the front then finally pushed down on the front end with the hood up and noticed the bearing had a little slack in it and was causing the noise.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Mine was making a clunk too last year when I redid the front suspension and used M/M 4 bolt c/c plates. I re tightened everything and it got better but still made a noise sometimes. Then I had full lenth subframes welded in and the noise went away. Not sure how that worked but it was good enough for me.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I'm going to guess it's the bearings in the plates as well. FWIW, Maximum Motorsports advises that you'll hear more noise with their plates versus the factory setup, but I never noticed any noises after I installed mine.

Users who are viewing this thread