Noise at high RPM's

Blk-Bolt

Established Member
In the lst few months a noise with the sound of what glass packs sound like is coming from my engine. It started doing it about 5,000 RPM and has since gotten worst to where it now starts doing it at 3,000 RPM. I have all of the intake mods on including the single magnaflow with 2 in and 2 out configuration. I went back to the muffler place that put it on and it's not leaking and it's all welded construction. He did test and found that one of the two cats was functioning at the same temp which to them means it's clogged. I have ran leaded 110 octane fuel in it a couple of runs. What do you think is the sound and if I should have ford look at my cats????

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by Blk-Bolt
In the lst few months a noise with the sound of what glass packs sound like is coming from my engine. It started doing it about 5,000 RPM and has since gotten worst to where it now starts doing it at 3,000 RPM. I have all of the intake mods on including the single magnaflow with 2 in and 2 out configuration. I went back to the muffler place that put it on and it's not leaking and it's all welded construction. He did test and found that one of the two cats was functioning at the same temp which to them means it's clogged. I have ran leaded 110 octane fuel in it a couple of runs. What do you think is the sound and if I should have ford look at my cats????
maybe the leaded race gas screwed up the cats or ruined the o2 sensors?
I have a question why would you run race gas?

Blk-Bolt

Established Member
I used the racing fuel mainly because I bought from JDM a flip chip. The flip chip in the race mode I was told should only be used when using the high octain fuel of minimum 110 which I did. I found with runs on the same night using both mode 1 and 2 that the race mode gained me 2 tens and about 4mph differance. But I may have killed (2) $200 Cats in the process. I still dont know if that is where the sound is coming from. If I did clog a cat I was told the dash engine light would have come on for the O-2 sencer.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
BB
If you used leaded fuel there is a good chance you clogged up the converters. I would get them checked, but if you bring it to the dealer take as many of the mods off first.

If they are gone it might be a good time to get some of the high flows cats JDM sells.

In the future if you do put racing fuel in your truck, make sure it is unleaded. Your track should have at least 100 octaine unleaded.

I normally run my race program on a mixture of pump gas and 103 unleaded race fuel, and never had a problem. I have even sometimes run the race side on strait pump gas.

Last edited:

spanky777will

Established Member
This would be the perfect time to call up Jim and order the headers and high-flow cats from him. hmmmmmmmm i think i might try it to get me some new toyz

Jim@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
Blk-Bolt,

Never use 110 octane.
Our most aggresive program only needs a couple of gallons of 100 octane fuel.
You might just want to call the shop so we can go over in detail about the noise.
In the EGR tube going from your exhaust manafold going to your intake there is a restrictor.
Sometimes they come loose and cause a rattling noise.

Call me 732-780-0770
Jim@JDM

Blk-Bolt

Established Member
That make sense! Thanks and I'll give you a call on Monday.
By the way the reason I bought the 110 racing fuel is because that is what they sell at the track and it's leaded. I'd show up at the track with about an 1/8 of a tank and add one gallon of 110 to it and get three runs from it. I have no idea where to get 100 octain fuel other than buying those pint octain boosters to add to the gas. Do you thing I trashed my CATS? How would I know? By the way, the flip chip program differances are hugh on the track runs. I wish I could run on the II side all the time but it pings just alittle and I dont want you to tone it down.

I'll give you a call to discuss. You might want to pull me up under Robert Vella, 2000 Lightning

Thanks again

Valkyrie Rider

Established Member
My noise at high RPM was caused by high speed. After a few times above 130mph I suddenly had a popping noise. After that it would start about 50 mph and get worse as I got faster. Was hard to detrmine where it came from. Sounded like it was comming from the Cats. Found it to be the rubber across the top of the windshield. Stopped at the Ford dealer and asked them if the rubber was supposed to come out at 130mph? After a good laugh they had me to bring the truck in the next day and they had a glass man ready and waiting to fix it under warranty. Sure felt good when I found out what the problem was. Hope yours is this simple.:r:

Users who are viewing this thread