Noisy Tires On The Road

RGrossman

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone else with big wide tires notices you can hear a moaning from the tires when driving? My 335/30/18 Pilot Sports moan and you can definitly here it with the windows up. Is this just the effect of wide tires? Balance? I had the car aligned a little while ago and rear is perfectly in spec.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Hey Ryan,
I have the Nitto 315 DR on stock rims and dont hear anything windows up or down, but then again my exhaust is so annoying it cant hear much of anything. Sorry i cant help in that respect.

I will be getting different rims and want to go with the 335/30/18 Pilot Sports on the back, how do you like them (minus the moan), do they hook well? How do they handle light/med rain?

-Mike

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I have Pilot 315s on my 10.5AFS and Pilot 275s up front. I hear this same kind of noise. I just got the tires balanced too. It got rid of my 85mph vibe, which I was ecstatic about, but they moan like a sumbitch... I was hoping that when I get my H&Rs this week, the alignment will fix that. Just doing a visual inspection of my MMCC plates and it seems they're all outta whack.

I remember you saying your car could use an alignment. Considering its a cheap fix, I'd start there. Thats what I plan on doing. If you find anything else out, let me know.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
DKS2814V said:
I remember you saying your car could use an alignment. Considering its a cheap fix, I'd start there. Thats what I plan on doing.

RGrossman said:
I had the car aligned a little while ago and rear is perfectly in spec.

Sounds like he already tried that.

*EDIT*
Ryan,
you said you had the rear checked, what about the front? I am guessing you would feel the vibrations in the steering wheel if the noise really was comming from the font, but something to check :shrug:

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
Well, I had the car aligned a while back and the rear was perfectly in spec but the front is a little bit negative still, not alot though. The moan really comes from the rear, I cant figure it out. Maybe its just the sound the monsters make :)

The traction of the 335s really is decent when you lower the pressure. I run them around 20 - 22 and that lets almost all of the tire to lay on the road. Since they should be on a wheel bigger then 10.5, you need to run less pressure or they will wear uneven. They are A+ in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread