Noob drag strip wheel Question

UpShift

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and was hoping that one of you could answer a question I have in regards to which wheels to purchase.
After taking my GT500 to the strip for the first time, It was all too apparent that street tires are not going to get the job done (even though they were Nitto DRs) with this Kenne Bell I have. So the conclusion I have come to is that I need a wheel and tire combo to put on just for the track.
From what I have gathered thus far, 15" rims won't fit without some swaybar modification/relocation, so it sounds like 16" rims it is. Because I have 4:10 gears, the tire I have settled on is a set of 28x11.5-16 ET streets. Are these the best DOT (I will be racing a couple street only classes so DOT is a must) tires, or are there better options from Hoosier, M&H etc..

and for the actual question itself, What rims will I need to go with these tires. I'm honestly pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff so forgive me, but will a set of regular 16" mustang rims work or if they will not, does any one know of a wheel which will? If I need a set of rims from a company like Weld or Holeshot racing, What demensions (ie. Backspacing, offset etc...) will I be looking for?
Like I said, I'm pretty clueless to this stuff, so thanks in advance for your help.

hotrodstang

Established Member
I have the same problem with my Whipple 710 RWHP and 650# Tq, I am doing the mod so I can go with 15" x 10" wide Bogarts and 10"x28" slicks. Thats the only way these things will hook up at the track! I have Nitto DR on now and its good from 30 mph and up on the street. Ya gotta do all the underneath mods inc a Che axle brace if you want it to live. I will post some strip results in about 4-6 weeks when I get there:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread