NOOB question about Terminator exhaust

ForceFedFan

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra that has a Bassani 2.5" x-pipe that terminates into 2 2" x-pipe back pieces that have Flowmaster 40 series welded in. The exhaust sounds like garbage (more like a garbage can full of aluminum cans actually) and I would like to replace the 2" x-pipe back pieces w/ 2.5" pipe and something that sounds better. Everywhere I look I can only find cat-back systems that would replace the x-pipe that doesn't need to be replaced. I only need an axle back system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can someone point me in the right direction? Additionally, does anyone know the max dimensions of what size muffler will fit? I have an 03 Mach 1 w/ a Magnaflow cat-back system that sound's ok but is a little louder than I prefer. From what I've read it seems that the Borla stinger's are a popular choice but I'm afraid they may be louder than the Magnaflow's. What setup would get me a decently quiet idle, but a deep, not hollow or metallic, sounding tone under load?

8gtoklr

Established Member
There is a post in this section on polishing setups you'll find all you want. Bassani 2.5 cat back works well has awesome tips , most cobra/irs will be mandrel bent also.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I believe 'x pipe back' you mean 'cat back', and yes a new system of whatever brand isn't cheap. You can get used cat back on ebay or the market section here on SVTP, for about 1/2 price. If you don't like flows, and don't want it to loud, I doubt you would like stingers. With an x (or any offroad mid pipe) they will be REALLY LOUD! I had stingers for a few weeks, they sound like garbage, IMO. Another cheap option is to try different mufflers in the crinkled, kinked stock tubing. Putting cats on in place of the X will 'clean up' and quiet the exhaust as well.

there are really only 3 main types of mufflers, and different brands will be similar.
- chambered - flow, MAC
- straight through (round, bullet) - stinger, magnapak, LMx
- straight through (larger oval, packed) magnaflow, bassani, steeda

max size is about 14L x 5H x 10W

AMWill

I have an 03 Cobra that has a Bassani 2.5" x-pipe that terminates into 2 2" x-pipe back pieces that have Flowmaster 40 series welded in. The exhaust sounds like garbage (more like a garbage can full of aluminum cans actually) and I would like to replace the 2" x-pipe back pieces w/ 2.5" pipe and something that sounds better. Everywhere I look I can only find cat-back systems that would replace the x-pipe that doesn't need to be replaced. I only need an axle back system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can someone point me in the right direction? Additionally, does anyone know the max dimensions of what size muffler will fit? I have an 03 Mach 1 w/ a Magnaflow cat-back system that sound's ok but is a little louder than I prefer. From what I've read it seems that the Borla stinger's are a popular choice but I'm afraid they may be louder than the Magnaflow's. What setup would get me a decently quiet idle, but a deep, not hollow or metallic, sounding tone under load?

I believe 'x pipe back' you mean 'cat back', and yes a new system of whatever brand isn't cheap. You can get used cat back on ebay or the market section here on SVTP, for about 1/2 price. If you don't like flows, and don't want it to loud, I doubt you would like stingers. With an x (or any offroad mid pipe) they will be REALLY LOUD! I had stingers for a few weeks, they sound like garbage, IMO. Another cheap option is to try different mufflers in the crinkled, kinked stock tubing. Putting cats on in place of the X will 'clean up' and quiet the exhaust as well.

there are really only 3 main types of mufflers, and different brands will be similar.
- chambered - flow, MAC
- straight through (round, bullet) - stinger, magnapak, LMx
- straight through (larger oval, packed) magnaflow, bassani, steeda

max size is about 14L x 5H x 10W

Hey Force,

You have some great questions here and it looks like Rattle beat me to it!

It sounds like you might be after a different mid-pipe or cat-back.

Just to elaborate a tad, a cat-back would not effect the mid pipe as it actually installs post mid pipe on your Terminator!

Were you looking to replace it all or maybe just swap mufflers?

Once we get a little more info from you I can definitely send some recommendations your way!

Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing back.

-Will

Users who are viewing this thread