Noob Questions

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
Ok so Ive always been a push rod guy and just picked up a 97 cobra so now I have to learn everything all over agin. I have about a million questions.

Im planing on putting a 75-100 shot on it and want to up grade my fuel system. Im looking at some 03-04 cobra injectors b/c there dirt cheep from a friend but does that mean i need to get the mass air to match and a new tune or 03-04 cobra computer? Also Im going to upgrade my fuel pump of course so which is cheeper and easer to install... svt focus pump or walbro 255 or any others that will work?

Most tuners Ive seen like sct have tuners for 96-98 2v and 99-? 4v but none for 97 4v cobras that I have found. Will a 99 4v turner work or am I even wasting my time with the over the self turner in the first place?

I know this is a lot to take in and trust me I have soooo much more but lets just start with this :) Thanks!!!

pacific4v

Established Member
Are u going with a wet or dry shot? If wet there is no need to upgrade injectors, just the pump. Get the walbro. The focus pump is for returnless fuel systems. As far as tuners, get the sct xcal 3. A dyno tuner will need it to upload tunes to ur car, and if ur going with nitrous its a good idea to get dyno tuned, although not necessary with 100 shot or less. With the xcal u can also read trouble codes and datalog ur car to help diagnose problems.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Im planing on putting a 75-100 shot on it and want to up grade my fuel system. Im looking at some 03-04 cobra injectors b/c there dirt cheep from a friend but does that mean i need to get the mass air to match and a new tune or 03-04 cobra computer? Also Im going to upgrade my fuel pump of course so which is cheeper and easer to install... svt focus pump or walbro 255 or any others that will work?

Any change in injectors and/or MAF will require a tune. MAFs & injectors are not matched any more. You only need to upgrade your MAF and/or Injectors if they run out of headroom.

Most tuners Ive seen like sct have tuners for 96-98 2v and 99-? 4v but none for 97 4v cobras that I have found. Will a 99 4v turner work or am I even wasting my time with the over the self turner in the first place?
If you want to do self tuning with SCT, you need to buy their Pro-Racer Package in addition to the handheld. And you should be prepared for a lot of study to learn how to do it right. If not, you need to buy the handheld, but get the tune from an SCT dealer. IMHO, don't even mess with canned tunes.

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
its a wet system... so I was thinking about going with a singel blade throttle body can i just bolt it up and go or will it mess with my computer?

pacific4v

Established Member
You could do that without a tune but at ur power level an after market throttle body is a waste of money. Very little to no power gain.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Not sure about with the nitrous, maybe a few ponies more? Feel free to correct me on that one.

But as far as upgrading your TB, that's a waste of time and especially money! Our stock twin blades already flow so well. Don't really need one till around 700 horses.

Best bang on these cars are gears, gears, gears, and gears. 4.10's+ only though. A short shifter is a must. And from there long tubes and mid pipe. If you want more get a short runner intake.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
For a 100 shot that is wet change the fuel filter, fuel pump if you feel it's worth it, and install colder plugs. Get the typical nitrous stuff like bottle heater and gauge, wot switch and window switch. Check the AFR on the dyno or a guage and have fun. Honestly the stock pump is enough, and injectors don't matter since it's a wet shot. If you want to upgrade the pump get a walbro 255. Use the search function to search "nitrous" in the SN95 section and read up. I pretty much mentioned everything though.

Changing the throttle body is a waste of time. Changing the maf wont get you any more power. Get some steeper gears, a shifter, subframe connectors, and exhaust. Do up the suspension a little and you're good to go lol. Then up the shot :burnout:

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
Ive got gears (4.10 but may go with 4.30 the more I read about it), upper and lower control arms, elbach springs and nitrous that need to be installed and B&M short throw shifter, JTL cold air and flows on it now. I didnt realize that the throttle body was good for that much power! What about the mass air what is it rated at. Im just used to 5.0... the first thing you do is swap the throttle body, mass air, to open it up :) I guess the 4v 4.6 Is set up alittle more than im used to :banana:

As far as nitrous Im going to change the filter and get a better fuel pump just for piece of mind and I have all the "fixings" (WOT switch, bottle heater, gauge, etc.) that go with nitrous already so Im pretty set there. Only one more nitrous question. Will the stock exhaust manifolds flow alright until I can find some long tubes? Im also going to take out the back cats to help.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ive got gears (4.10 but may go with 4.30 the more I read about it), upper and lower control arms, elbach springs and nitrous that need to be installed and B&M short throw shifter, JTL cold air and flows on it now. I didnt realize that the throttle body was good for that much power! What about the mass air what is it rated at. Im just used to 5.0... the first thing you do is swap the throttle body, mass air, to open it up :) I guess the 4v 4.6 Is set up alittle more than im used to :banana:

As far as nitrous Im going to change the filter and get a better fuel pump just for piece of mind and I have all the "fixings" (WOT switch, bottle heater, gauge, etc.) that go with nitrous already so Im pretty set there. Only one more nitrous question. Will the stock exhaust manifolds flow alright until I can find some long tubes? Im also going to take out the back cats to help.

Well there is no real "problem" with running the stock exhaust manifolds lol.. I plan on running them for a while myself. Also, O/R X pipes are so damn cheap from UPR, just get one of those for now.

Glad to hear you're using the nitrous properly. The MAF really isn't a power restriction, the only reason why you would need to upgrade it is if the readings are reaching its capacity. Don't remember what horsepower that usually happens at though. No matter what it is though it wont be monitoring the extra air when the shot is spraying since that is in the nitrous which will be sprayed after the maf. Common MAF upgrades in these cars are the LMAF and a HPX slot style sensor (or something close lol sorry I'm tired).

Users who are viewing this thread