Noob saying hi

JerseySVT

Established Member
Hi. I don't even own an SVT...yet. I'm torn between an '04 Lightning and an '04 Cobra. I just wrecked my '04 Yamaha R1 a couple weeks ago and needed surgery on my knee. I have to wait until I can walk on my own again before I can get the new vehicle. Should only be about 3 more weeks. :D And once I get my insurance chek for the bike, I'll have plenty of money for mods. I plan on dropping about $4000 to $6000 into the SVT of choice right off the bat. But I still have plenty of research to do since I am a complete noob with Fords and know virtually nothing about hopping up the L and Cobra.

When it comes time to do the mods, I will probably bring it to JDM since they are only about 40 minutes from where I live and they seem to have a real good reputation. But like I said before, my main decision for now is between the Lightning or Cobra.:shrug: I wish I could get both.

Feel free to comment on pros and cons of both. I'm open to any suggestions. But for now, I'll get back to reading lots of old threads to learn as much as I can about these awesome SVTs!!:read:

:rockon:

JerseySVT

Established Member
Thanks. I'm in Bergen county. Nice truck. I was looking at the Sonic Blue 04 at all america ford in Hackensack last week. I couldn't even sit in it though cause my leg is immobilized and i'm on crutches. lol Great color.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I'd stick with the Lightning if you're gonna dump that much $$$ in mods. Not too many people know the capabilities of a stock L, much less one with 700rwhp. I was extremely pleased with my L, but got out before resale took a dump. Good luck with your decision.

JerseySVT

Established Member
I'll be sure to check out those sites. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Do you think I could be in the mid 11's, but still be streetable on 93 octane with the amount I want to spend if I went with the Lightning?

I am definately throwing a Kenne Bell twin screw on there. Thats a given. Whether its the L or the Cobra, the Eaton is getting swapped for a KB.

I just want a daily driver in the mid to low 11's that doesn't have to be babied and tuned constantly. But will also serve me well at the track on weekends. Ya know? ;-)

I plan on also doing, chip, pullies, magnaflow cat backs, rear suspension, slicks, gears, and shifter. Possibly nitrous for the track, but I don't know.

And I don't even know how much this all will cost and if I am way over budget already or not. Probably am. But theres always more room on the credit cards.:D Spare no expense when it comes to toys.:beer: Maybe I don't even need all those mods.:shrug:

I guess I have some idea of what I want to do. But lots of planning to do. And I gots plenty of free time to do it now.

JerseySVT

Established Member
BTW...if I get the Cobra, it will be Silver. If I get the Lightning, either Metallic Silver or Black.:)

nugen

Established Member
Stick with the Cobra, the internals are stronger and will respond...more favorably to mods...especially if your goal is 700 hp. Just drive the car before you go crazy modding it. I promise that in stock trim the car is capable of more than you will be able to harness and put to the ground.

JerseySVT

Established Member
I made the decision to go with the Cobra. Then I got insurance quotes. lol Damn. $2,800 for full coverage with state minimum liability.:xpl: The Lightning would cost $1,600 a year to insure.

But I'm still gonna go with the Cobra. ;) 700hp is not my goal. I think sharkbite just threw that number out there. I just want to be in the mid to low 11's and still have a reliable daily driver. 700hp is too much for that.

Users who are viewing this thread