nor cal tint and front plate law

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
Now i know you are not alowed to have tint on the frone of your car and you need a front plate so i was wondering how meany of you have bin busted for eather of these and whats the penitly i just mooved to napa from NC and was curious about what othere people have experenced

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Not sure about the front plate, but the window tint fine is close to $100. (at least it used to be).

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
both are fix it tickets. Just show a officer proof of correction and he signs off on the ticket which brings the cost down to $5.00 if i remember correctly on the price. I got pulled over on the freeway of all places for no front plate. One thing led to another and i ended up having to pop my hood so the officer could look at my motor. I have very light tint on the front windows and haven't had any trouble what so ever. As far as the front plate goes get it from Craig. He sells a "No Drill" front plate bracket.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/interior-exterior-parts-260/561549-99-04-cobra-mach-1-no-drill-front-license-plate-bracket.html

Hope this helps.

J.R.

Last edited:

moonltgold

Now i know you are not alowed to have tint on the frone of your car and you need a front plate so i was wondering how meany of you have bin busted for eather of these and whats the penitly i just mooved to napa from NC and was curious about what othere people have experenced

I haven't had a front plate for 20 years (5 different cars in the Bay Area, and been stopped twice for other reasons). I do not front window tint any of my cars, however, just all the other windows. I would say just keep a low profile and you'll be fine. I have never seen a Vette yet with a front plate out here. As long as you have a nice ride, and not a POS, drive respectable and don't look like a low-life, you'll be fine.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Cops have been busting people here at the local mall in stockton. I knew about the front plate deal, but window tint too? Do you mean windshield or the actual door windows? My cobra is my DD, its going to suck rolling down the windows in winter when a cop pulls up next to you.

sd04cobra

Established Member
two things. 1 - ive been pulled over in sd for both tint and no plate. luckily the guy let me go. 2 - i grew up in napa. the cops there have absolutely nothing to do with themselves besides pester motorists. it is only a matter of time before you get pulled over and they love to write tickets.

GL

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
ok thanks for all the imput guys my dad has bin taking care of the car for about 3 weeks and he will olny take it for short drives up the road and back but the car is going to be my DD

im actuley mooving back to napa i was rased there and joind the army at 18 and im 22 now so its bin a little while so i thought i would just git current on the laws

also what are they looking for when they make you pop your hood? because i have a 2.3 whipple EGR delete bbk cold air intake ect. i mean i try to dtract the least atenshon as possible but shit happens its not like im going down to the n n out looking for the fast and fureous just to make a point but i still dont want to have to put it all back to stock

and the othere thing the car is going to have NC plates on it for a while do you all think that will have any bering on tickets?
thanks for imput:beer:

Last edited:

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
around here Long tube headers and/or no cats is an automatic tow of the officer chooses too. My cousin is a cop here in oakland so he is my source of info. My buddy got his Notch taken from California Highway Patrol for not having cats. They can also put a 30 day hold on your car which means you can't get it out of the tow yard for 30 days and you will have to pay the storage fee for each day.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
damn why cant cali be more like NC or VA some times i have to sit and think why im going back there:kaboom:

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
true but your gonna git in trouble if you drive like a ass all the time there is a time and a place for everey thing

thank you all for your imput you all have bin a big help:beer:

cant wait to git home and drive my termie:burnout:

Quik Z06

Established Member
If you plan to register the car in CA at anytime you will need to get it smogged. With that being said im sure someone knows someone that could help you get it smogged. Look at my sig, my 99 FRC has everything possible that is illegal in CA. I never had any trouble with it, just dont try and draw too much attention to yourself.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
so your car passes smog? iv had to do this to cars iv ownd in the past but i was just going to go visit my good friend in VA every few years and git new registrashon and "inspectshon" done and call it a day but if its gonna pass smog ill just register it ing cali i dont think it will tho the olny kind of smog equipment that are still there are the catts but the egr stock air box ect all gone a while back

68gtscode

Established Member
so your car passes smog? iv had to do this to cars iv ownd in the past but i was just going to go visit my good friend in VA every few years and git new registrashon and "inspectshon" done and call it a day but if its gonna pass smog ill just register it ing cali i dont think it will tho the olny kind of smog equipment that are still there are the catts but the egr stock air box ect all gone a while back

I used to register my Procharged 2V out of state because it wasn't legal in CA. It made 400 rwhp. My Cobra makes 620 rwhp and passes CA emissions with flying colors, with all 50 state legal parts... That's part of the beauty of 03/04 Cobras. Swing your car by AED when you get into town and they'll get it sorted, no problem.

Advanced Engine Development (916) 275-8212

I also agree with the other comments regarding keeping a low profile. Install a quiet exhaust and don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. I have only been pulled over once in CA. I was speeding on I-80 in my Cobra on route to a car show in Sacramento. I had my Valentine 1 in clear sight, no front plate, and didn't even have my license on my person (I lost it in the city the weekend before- I still think this big blond girl stole it but that's another story)... I was respectful and showed the cop my old military ID, and he was totally cool- let me go without even a written warning, and told me to slow down because my V1 wouldn't always be able to detect him!

Last edited:

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
i dont think i should have a problem with my exhaust being to loud its just a bbk catted x pipe and a magnaflow cat back so its nice and mellow till you realy jump on it but then the whipple just drowns that out :rockon: and thats good news that yalls cars are passing smog now i have no dout that i will be ok im hoping there will be a cobra meet while im home on leave it would be nice to take it out for the day and hang out with other cobra owners back in NC i always hung out with the F boddy guys because for some reason moste of the guys in the local mustang club where just ass holes and i always felt like i was in somthing out of the fast and fureous so i hated hanging out with them

Quik Z06

Established Member
My FRC would not have passed CA smog (but it's good to know people) It really all depends on where you go. Hell they wouldnt even pass my Z06 just because it had an intake on it. Some places are cool some are total a$$holes, but I understand why, it's a big fine for them.

Lol, as for the exhaust, it just depends on if they want to pick on you. I had a Bassani catback on my cobra with a Bassani X (which IMO is pretty quiet) and got a ticket for modified exhaust. This was after following about 30 car's out of a parking lot, I think everyone had a louder exhaust than me (especially my wife in her Z06 which has straight pipes and no mufflers)

Users who are viewing this thread