Not hooking. Will I break something if I get tires?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
I'm making decent power. Nothing like most people make over here, but I have a catback, 3.10 and a DenseCharger, stock tune. Before I go to more power, I would like to use 2nd and 1st if possible. These gears are breaking the tires loose all the time. I have Kumho MX's brand new on right now, but I still can't hook. I run 50 PSI in them (max 51). I don't drag race but I like taking the curves fast and I want to take off without leaving half of my tire on the road. I'm thinking of getting Nitto 315's on the stock rims, since everyone says that they fit fine. Am I going to break a half shaft? I assume that if I go any wider on the tires with wider rims, I will break something. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I also want to give some Z06's around here some competition. Other than half shafts, is my clutch also a weak point?

Thanks for any comments.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Try less tire pressure in the back. People that drag race and want their nitto drag radials to hook go down to 20-25 PSI.

First try lowering your tire pressure to stock level in the rears (30-32PSI). If that doesn't work, experiment with a lower number. when it's all said and done, you may just need a stickier tire.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Ok, thanks Mike. I like cheap. I'll try it. It's just that this is what the installer put in and I thought if I took the pressure out, I would have had a problem while turning. I'll give 30-32 a shot and see what happens.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I just put in a set of the nittos replacing the GoodYear F1 DS. I have 25 on the street though I think 41 is on the side wall. No bulge (which surprised me) and they handle well in corners.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by gchronis
I run 50 PSI in them (max 51). I don't drag race but I like taking the curves fast and I want to take off without leaving half of my tire on the road.

:eek: There is no way you need to run 50 psi in any of your tires they are most definetly over-inflated. I run around 35 psi in the front Nitto555RII and 26 psi in the rear which are Nitto555R 315s.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The only time I've ever heard of inflating the tires to around 40+ PSI is for SOLO II autocross. With 50 PSI, you don't have much of a contact patch.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Ok, got it. I'll lower the pressure. The Ecsta MX say 51 on the sidewall, while stock tires said 44 max. I don't know why the big difference for same size tires. I'm a computer geek. I'll try 32 when I get off work and see what happens.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by gchronis
Ok, got it. I'll lower the pressure. The Ecsta MX say 51 on the sidewall, while stock tires said 44 max. I don't know why the big difference for same size tires. I'm a computer geek. I'll try 32 when I get off work and see what happens.

That is the max rated air pressure before they will blow out. If you have the tires set for 50 psi cold when they are at operating temperature it will raise several psi meaning you are exceeding the burst rating of the tires.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
George check this out. Instead of retyping it I just copied it from one of my old posts so if it looks a little strange that is why.

-Check your tire pressure. Just because Ford recommends 32 psi for the stock tires does not mean it is correct. For one considering our cars have a ~57%/43% weight distribution there is no way the front and rear tires should have the same pressure to distribute load present on that tire. In my experience the front tires need substantially more then 32 psi to provide optimum traction, tread life, and gas mileage. And the rears require significantly less. The best way to determine if your tires are optimally inflated is to draw a line across the tread face of all four tires and drive around and monitor the wear rate of the chalk. If the chalk wears evenly from shoulder to shoulder then the tire pressure is probably within it optimum range. If it doesn't it is an indication of a problem. If the chalk wears faster from the center you are over-inflated. If the chalk wears faster on the shoulders evenly then you are under-inflated. If the chalk wears faster on the outside corner you have to much positive camber. You should have a little more wear on the inside shoulder depending on your alignment, but if it is substantial then you probably have to much negative camber. Another quick way is to drive through a puddle and then over dry concrete and examine the tread pattern. If it is even from shoulder to shoulder the most significant locations are the shoulders and center you are good if not then you have an issue. Again if the center is lighter then the shoulders you are under-inflated. If the shoulders are lighter then the center then you are over-inflated.

fubu795

Banned
I run Nitto 315's on stock wheels at 27 lbs on the street, 18 lbs at the track. I have all the basic bolt-ons, pushing 465 RWHP. The nittos grip very well on the street. At the track I heat them for 10 seconds or so and I slip the clutch at 5k and the nittos GRIP GRIP GRIP! :)

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
I wonder why the @#$@#$% installer didn't put lower psi in it, if it's dangerous. I pay them to do their job damn it. Anyway, toofast4u thanks for the chalk tip. I'll go try it. I lowered the rear to 38 and front to 40 and I'll do the chalk thing and go from there. I've had these on for about 500 miles now. I hope I didn't screw anything up. Thanks everyone for their advice.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
They always put way more than is needed. They don't know every cars psi I guess and usually fill it in when the tire goes on the rim. Always check when getting new tires.

3GROC

Established Member
it might have taken 50lbs to bead it. maybe just forgot to lower hte pressure

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Ok, this feels way better now. It helped my wheel hop a little bit as well. I have 40 up front and 34 in the rear. I'll go lower and see where it starts to feel sloppy on the curve. I'm happy.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I run usually 32# front f1's, 25# back nitto 315/35/17's dr. it still does ok around corners at speed, still too much pressure you have in my opinion. Try 32 front and 28, 29 back with the street tires. The chalk method is good. These cars are really heavy up front like my 69 is, therefore need less # in back. The ol white shoe polish works too although harder to clean up.

Blades

Established Member
Originally posted by fubu795
I run Nitto 315's on stock wheels at 27 lbs on the street, 18 lbs at the track. I have all the basic bolt-ons, pushing 465 RWHP. The nittos grip very well on the street. At the track I heat them for 10 seconds or so and I slip the clutch at 5k and the nittos GRIP GRIP GRIP! :)

Thats odd. mine spin thru 2nd now. :( I do have 13k miles on them hehehe. I should probably get new tires.

Users who are viewing this thread