Not really a kill but still cool - 996TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok, long story short I'm on the highway today and spot a yellow Porsche 996TT up ahead and I'm like sweeeet. I get up along side and theres an old man probably around 65 talking on his cell phone. I'm like dang theres no way he'll race but I have him the head not just to see. Before I know it I saw him downshift to 3rd with one hand the other still talking on the cell phone and he punched it (still talking on the phone). I was already in third but by the time I pumched it he was about 1/2 a car length ahead of me. I was dead even through 3rd and most of fourth but I feel I would have gained on him at the end of 4th and 5th but he shut down at about 120 for some reason. So besides the quick jump he got on me cause he hit the gas first it was dead even the whole way till he shut down. Cool guy, I had to give him a thumbs up and he gave me one as well. Not the stereotypically arrogant Porsche driver that I'd thought he'd be. I know its not a kill but its still a pretty cool story. Come spring when I've got the KB it just wont be fun anymore though :rolling:

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
P.S. I also had a 250 lb passenger and a full tank of gas if that means anything, like my car is heavy enough. The guy in the Porsche was alone.

Last edited:

allshownogo

Established Member
his car is pushing near 500hp. I believe that he could keep up to a 996 quite nicely as long as it's stock. Good run.

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks guys, yeah I do believe I kept up nicely to a 996TT. Considering that I have 468 HP at the wheels and a stock turbo has 420 hp at the flywheel which with Porsche's all wheel drive translates into about 350-360 at the wheels. True they are much lighter cars which is why I assume I didnt walk him crazy but I sure as heck kept dead even.

Pyro

Established Member
Based on Hitman #1's sig, he doesn't have an 03 so I dont blame him for not believing although I wouldn't mind having a 68 Roadrunner!!

It seems that as more 03's get modded, those who dont have one or those who have never read up on one will not believe stories like this. There's a saying among Jeep owners......"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

To non Terminator owners, I say: "It's a Terminator thing, you wouldn't understand"

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by allshownogo
his car is pushing near 500hp. I believe that he could keep up to a 996 quite nicely as long as it's stock. Good run.

If you are talking about flywheel HP, I'd guess he's well over 500hp and closer to 530 hp....actually if you assume....say....15% loss due to drivetrain, you're talking about 538 HP at the flywheel compared to 420 hp at the flywheel of the Porche with way morethan 15% loss from an AWD drivetrain.

If you take it on the twisties, you can FUGETABAWIT

hitman#1

The Harbinger Of Doom...
Established Member
I didn't say I didn't believe he could hang with a guy in a 996 TT especially one distracted by a cell phone call. This is what I found disturbing:
I feel I would have gained on him at the end of 4th and 5th

I realize that at your power level you have as good if not better power to weight ratio than the Porsche, but at what point do you feel that a car with superior aerodynamics will make it's presence felt? These cars have a top-end of 189 mph. Do you think you could push your brick to that kind of speed? Maybe so, but I'd have to see it to believe it. I see the idiots on LS1.com talking about doing 180mph from time to time. I have a hard time swallowing their stories as well, and an F-body is quite a bit more aerodynamic than a 99 and up Cobra. Just my $.02:shrug:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Still isn't nice to run with a car that costs 4 times as much. That guy in the Porsche is probably thinking why did i spend all that money on this car. Sounds like typical guy with Porsche small pee-pee

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok maybe I should rephrase that, I would have gained on him halfway through 4th, and actually I started to slightly before he shut down. 4th on my car tops out at about 140, so anything past that I guess I shouldnt make assumptions on b/c the Porsche is more aerodynamic. There really was no reason for him to shut down though, all open highway ahead no cars in sight. But he was quite old and I'm sure didnt feel like topping out his car, no big deal. It would have been interesting if he took me up to 140-160 though just to see if his better aerodynamics would take control of my power to weight ratio. By the way I dont have the limiter on, took care of that a while ago. Anyways, its Kenne Bell time soon enough :) Hope I bump into him sometime again after with my KB

hitman#1

The Harbinger Of Doom...
Established Member
That's cool. I'm sure you're having fun with your car, and once you put a K/B screw-charger on that beast it'll be a rocket. I'd just like to see a bit more prudence when I read some of these posts. I'm waiting for the day I read about some guy with an '03 Cobra with a pulley and a chip beating a 'Busa, or whooping up on some guys McLaren F1 or Enzo. :rolleyes:

This place is starting to remind me of Supraforums...

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by hitman#1
I'm waiting for the day I read about some guy with an '03 Cobra with a pulley and a chip beating a 'Busa, or whooping up on some guys McLaren F1 or Enzo. :rolleyes:

I'd be the first to raise the BS flag on that one but you never know. If it was Nitrous Pete, you could probably count on it being true but once the road bends a little, it's over!!

Jason

I wish I could show you video of this skyline kicking the shit out of a "Busa" in a drag race in Saudi Arabia, but I am at work right now and don't have access to the Video. I think the skyline is shaped like a brick too, hmmm image that...You put enough power in something and it will go as fast as you want it to. I also have video of a T-type Regal doing 220mph in the Silver State Classic out in Nevada. I wish I had the videos to back me up right now, but as soon as I get home I will try and get them up. Or you can go to www.racingflix.com in the Misc. section and check it out for yourself...

Steeltwo

Established Member
if you were dead even thru 3rd which to my knowledge is the 03's big gear. I wouldn't expect you to pull.

the 03's aeros and gearing aren't nearly as good as the 911's for the high speed runs.

just my thoughts

good race

Wildcard

Established Member
Snake Boy

there's no doubting that if you put enough power in a car it can go as fast as you want. Look at draggers.

However, stock cars w/o the proper aerodynamics and suspension to keep them to the ground are going to fly if they reach certain speeds.

There's a new article in 50 mag. sayin 200mph Cobra which is built for the Nevada Open Road Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread