Not so good results at the track...Need help troubleshooting.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I took the car to a track day yesterday. The car is breaking up BADLY under under moderate/full throttle. Hp/tq in the sig. First pass 14.1 @ 92 and second pass was 14.4 @ 87. I can assure this was EVERYTHING the car had in it. Car has practically no power under moderate/hard pulls...but drives fine under normal driving conditions. Pulled the plugs (after the two passes) and they are white and its apparently very lean. Prior to makeing the passes the plugs looked normal. Not sure what the prob could be? I have no idea if one of my pumps took a shit bad BAP or what but there is a serious problem somewhere. I'm prob going to get the car to a dyno later this week. I have an sct and can datalog but IDK what to really look for. Maybe its something I can address myself whether it be a faulty pump or whatever. Any ideas?

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
There goes my first thought. I guess you could replace the plugs and hope for the best, they are cheap compared to other potential issues.

hook982

Suicide Blonde...
Established Member
This may sound really dumb, but i had the same problem a few months ago. Billy helped me figure out that every time my car was breaking up, I had less than a quarter tank of fuel. Car starved under acceleration. I keep it over a 1/4 now and no problem....:beer:

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I will replace the plugs again since they look pretty bad now. I did have around a 1/4 tank maybe a little more...I wonder.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
At the dyno now going to see what the problem is. Hopefully just an issue with the tune.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Mine did this once too. For me, it was the cam position sensor...mine had gone south for whatever reason. Is your IC pump working?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I had a problem similar to this and it ended up being the in-tank fuel line came off one of the pumps, so I was only getting fuel from one pump. I could drive at normal speeds, but whenever I got on the gas much at all, it would break up really bad. Fuel pressure gauge was only showing about 15psi at idle, which is half what it should be. Definitely drop the tank and check stuff out in there. Get some submergable fuel line in there instead of that clear plastic crap. A FORE hat would totally solve the problem as well.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
Well, got back from the dyno and the news isn't good AT ALL. It's hurt and bad. Messed with the tune and a little, added fuel and it just wasn't making power and ruled the tune out. Couldn't make a pull past 3200 b/c the car just cuts out so bad (286hp/419lbft at 3000). We scraped that idea and did a compression test. Got 25psi in cylinder #8. The rest were 160-175. Obviously that's a problem. Bad valve spring, piston rings, it's anybody's guess. Won't know till its out of the car and apart. :cuss: Mystery solved.

mixxer

Established Member
The tune never changes once its loaded in car so if problem isnt there from the first time you start car then its a mechanical problem. Plugs at that boost should be .030 and if you are running almost 20 lbs of boost on pump gas then thats one reason. 17-18 lbs of boost on pump gas is max,any more you are rolling the dice.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
The tune never changes once its loaded in car so if problem isnt there from the first time you start car then its a mechanical problem. Plugs at that boost should be .030 and if you are running almost 20 lbs of boost on pump gas then thats one reason. 17-18 lbs of boost on pump gas is max,any more you are rolling the dice.

I'll keep that in mind. This was my first terminator and it's been a learning experience (an expensive one). IF i knew what I knew now I would have done things differently. New engine, New tune, I should be good to go. :dancenana:

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
What are you planning to do with repairing the motor? I saw you started a new thread in the Terminator Forum.

Well dwight, I thought about buying a low mileage long block and swapping that in and just selling the good parts off mine. If I don't do that I might just go w/ a complete rebuild via MMR and call it done.

Users who are viewing this thread