nothing like starting an 8 month come back with a W

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Okay, those of you that keep up with the SN95 forums - you'd know that my car has been down since the middle of january with a blown up motor.

Well, i got the car back fri morning. Showed it off that night at the strip. Come Saterday, I was showing it off at the spot letting everyone know that have a very short time till i bust some butt! :rockon:

I had no intentions of racing...but who rolls in? Shane Cloer (the guy that built my engine) he gets out and comes over and we talk a little bit and he asks me how many miles i've put on it. 170miles I told him. He said I needed to be out racing to break it in....:eek: :thumbsup: :rockon: :burnout: That's all I needed.

I'd been driving the car for two days...haven't driven a manual in 8 months and i was alread setting up a race with a brand new motor that has 170 miles on it.

I guess I should explain a little bit about my motor. When the engine was dissassembled, my crank was trashed due to two rod bearings that had spun pretty hard. Crank was unturnable. We had the block sonic checked and it was in great condition. Well, thinking of what I was gonna do with the car...283cid (overbore) was NOT gonna be enough. So I contacted Scott over at VT Engines and he got me hooked up with one of their 5.0 Stroker kits. So with a 3.75" crank and the .020" over bore. I was gonna have a nice little 302. Three-Hundred and Two (2) cubic inches of Dual Over Head Cam goodness. Hell ya. But wait there's more. We decided to port the heads (B Series). So upon dissassembling the heads...I needed three new vavle guides. Well...while we are in there, lets do a 3 angle. So, we got ported heads and a 3 angle valve job. YUM! Well, with the new porting there was gonna be no need for IMRCs so we pulled the plates and plugged the holes. and removed the controller. THe intake was also ported. That's the new motor.

So...I was looking for a car in my league and spotted a good friend of mine who owns a 95 Eclipse GST (turbo) with upgraded turbo and running a good bit of boost. This car has outrun LS1 cars by 4 cars. Its a very quick import. I also knew he wouldn't give me any crap if I lost and understood that it was a brand new motor.

So we head out and kick em off from a 30. First race he jumps out about a car, and I start reeling him back in nicely...but traffic got in the way. So we kicked them off again, and about the same thing. He jumped out about a car and i reeled him in and put a car on him. We head back to a buddies appartment where Cameron is saying his car isn't making any power past 100MPH. So we tigthen up some bolts on his turbo and the piping.

We run them again from a 35. He jumps out about a car and it stays like that. He's slowly edgin away. So now we are 1-1. I've got to give credit to that little GST. It is NO slouch at all. However, I think with the computer pulling 8deg of timing on my car - there is A LOT (A LOT!!!) of power to be found in a tune...

I want to race him again once I get a tune. I know the outcome will be very different. But that's what racing is all about. Getting faster :-D

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-D Check the SN95 for my first impressions of the new motor. I've got to Give MAD props and thanks to Shane Cloer Owner/Operator of Cloer Race Engines in Dalton, GA. Without his help and quality workmanship, I would have no one to send my car to. He's the only person i trust with my car. I had absolutely NO fear at all that when I got the car back, there would be NO QUESTION at all to the quality of workmanship put into the motor. And as long as i don't do something really stupid, this motor is going to last me a very long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread