Nov. issue of Motor Trend: Auto GT goes 13.8 @ 99

03CobraBro

Established Member
Why cant we ever just say something is cool, or not cool, and leave it at that? There always has to be someone giving there whole damn life story. :nonono:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I don't think Ford GT owners hearts will skip a beat when the C6-Z06 hits the road.
I find it hard to believe that a C6 w/ a 100 more hp is going to go from a 12.7 to a 11.2 at over 130mph in a 1/4 mile.
The Z06 is a great track car, but wont catch a GT.
The GT's 550 hp is more accurate as a rwhp figure.

Formula51

Established Member
I'm not sure where you are going with the Catera platform, but I agree 2 mph is a lot in the slalom. I never said the GTO was equal to or as good a car as the Cobra. I just said the numbers were closer than I thought.

I just ment that the 60k (estimate) ZO6 might get the eye of the GT owners. At a fourth of the price it might get close enough in some performace categories to do so. Of course its not gonna run an 11.2, but I do expect it to be in the 11's. The 100-200lb heavier C5 ZO6 (we dont know the weight of the new one yet) could run an 11.9 showroom stock down to the tires in good weather with a good driver, etc. Generally its considered a low 12 second car, so a lighter Vette with more 100 more horsepower could run consistant high 11's and dip into the mid 11's with a good driver, air, track prep, etc. It will handle great, aided by its light weight, but will not be as good as the mid engine GT. My point was it might get close enough to catch a GT owners eye, all while costing 180k less.

The GT is an INCREDIBLE car, but a ZO6 is no sloutch(SP?) and is a car that a good chunk of the public can actually afford to own. And there will be more than 1500 of them a year!

Formula51

Established Member
From Top Gears Test. Same driver, same day, same track.

Track Times:
Base C6 (I think it was a base model?) 1.26.8

Ford GT..................................................1.21.9

Thats a 5 second gap, which is a big gap, but I think the ZO6's lighter weight, different gearing and suspension, braking, and 100hp will really close that gap. By how much, I have no idea.

Will a ZO6 ever be a GT? Nope, notta, never, not gonna happen. But for the price of a house less it might gets its attention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread