Now for something completely different

Ryushin

Established Member
That looks very nice. I was reading that the Ford PowerStroke 6.1 engine uses a compound setup. Maybe I can use the boost valves for doing a sequential setup on a cobra.

But maybe a sequential setup isn't the way to go is 50mm turbo's will do what I want. Does anyone know of any dyno graphs of twin 50mm turbo's on a four valve 4.6 engine?

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
That looks very nice. I was reading that the Ford PowerStroke 6.1 engine uses a compound setup. Maybe I can use the boost valves for doing a sequential setup on a cobra.

But maybe a sequential setup isn't the way to go is 50mm turbo's will do what I want. Does anyone know of any dyno graphs of twin 50mm turbo's on a four valve 4.6 engine?

Do a search under username smashedheadcat. He is running twin 50s on his '03 Cobra with great results.

KK

novi2000

Established Member
So I've been thinking over building something completely different than what has been done before. I've been mulling over the idea of a compound setup, but after reading everything I can find on twin turbo going into a supercharger, I don't think it's the way to go. Just too much boost for too little gain.

I've been liking the idea of just twin turbo's, except for having no low end torque. That got me thinking about going with a sequential quad turbo setup. I've been reading some, and it looks like this has not been done before on a SN95 platform. In fact it seems it's a very rare setup.

I'm just in the planning stages right now, looking at HP Performance or Hellion as the twin kit and then adding from there. It also might be that it's just to build a true custom setup from the beginning. I think I'll contact Rick at Amazon Racing has he said he's been doing a lot of Turbo stuff now.

I just wonder if there is enough room to make everything fit?

Goal is to make 800+ rwhp on pump gas with over 450 ft/lbs of torque starting at 1500 rpm.

Here is a compound boost setup on the dyno that you can have a look at to get an idea of spool up time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPs0v4N1x4"]YouTube - Jeff Harris 2003 Mustang Cobra King of the Street 2008 Dyno Run[/ame]

TRBO VNM

the mild steel coated is fine and recommended for turbo headers, but imo, I would rather have stainless for the rest of the setup. I know of people who have had to get the coating redone more than once on their hp kits.

sure, the coated piping looks better. but just like was stated above about the vented gates on the HP kit that you can modify to recirculate them, well, you can take the stainless steel piping and have it coated. so far though, I have not seen one coated header not have the coating wear or degrade over time.

I would rather have pay for the stainless piping and pay extra for it to be coated for the looks of things and have a lifetime warranty on the stainless piping.

oh yeah, and better customer service. It is nice to have all the parts you paid for in a timely fashion instead of waiting 6-12 months and sometimes still not having everything or the right stuff.

imo, just based on customer service, if I wanted a twin kit it would be either hellion or HPP. all the twin kits out there make good power.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
the mild steel coated is fine and recommended for turbo headers, but imo, I would rather have stainless for the rest of the setup. I know of people who have had to get the coating redone more than once on their hp kits.

sure, the coated piping looks better. but just like was stated above about the vented gates on the HP kit that you can modify to recirculate them, well, you can take the stainless steel piping and have it coated. so far though, I have not seen one coated header not have the coating wear or degrade over time.

I would rather have pay for the stainless piping and pay extra for it to be coated for the looks of things and have a lifetime warranty on the stainless piping.

oh yeah, and better customer service. It is nice to have all the parts you paid for in a timely fashion instead of waiting 6-12 months and sometimes still not having everything or the right stuff.

imo, just based on customer service, if I wanted a twin kit it would be either hellion or HPP. all the twin kits out there make good power.

Well, wouldn't the long tube header design of the HP kit make better torque and spool faster than the Hellion kit since it has less piping, or am I just nit picking. I have no problems sending in the piping to be coated, in fact, that is a must for me. Stainless would have course better to have.

Customer service does go a long way though and I will have to fully consider that when purchasing this.

I was talking with Rick at Amazon for about 30 minutes going over this and he knows a 8.5 outlaw guy that is doing something like this for a daily driver. He was going to find out more and let me know. He also said he's been doing a lot the hellion compound setups and is seeing almost 800hp on 93 pump gas. I thought the compound setups weren't good for much more than what a twin screw would give you for pump gas. Though you can greatly increase the boost, which is something I'm not wanting to do. If I can make low to mid 700's on pump gas, maybe the compound is the way to go. Heck, maybe using the new TVS and turbo's would be a nice setup. Or go with a Stage 5 port on the Eaton with a stock pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread