Now I'm pissed...

Stitch

Established Member
Best time with just exhaust and a tune was 13.2 @104.5 with a 1.92 60'.

Went to the track Saturday. Best time with 4.30's, 13.5 @ 102 with a 1.97 60'.

WTF :cuss:

I had to feather the clutch out of the hole, into 2nd and 3rd otherwise I would wheel hop bad. But even so, I was hoping to match my previous best before the gear swap. I just had a dyno done 2 weeks ago and put 302 to the wheels so I know I'm not down on power.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You can't just look at the specific times. What was the weather like on your first run compared to your latest run that was slower?

It's possible that the weather on your latest run was quite a bit worse then on the first run. That's why I use et correction calculators on all my runs. I don't post my corrected times but it can tell you if the mods you've done actually helped out at all. It takes weather out of the equation.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
+1 on the weather factor. Also, you stated you are now having to feather the clutch to keep from wheel hopping, that is possibly why your times are slower. Take notes on the weather of your runs so you will know and get a set of tires that can handle the gear.

Stitch

Established Member
Weather was actually great. 65*, low humidity, tail wind. Track was a bit colder then I hoped for but I don't know. These conditions were similar when I got my 13.2 with the stock gears.

I think the biggest thing I'm probably losing alot between my 1-2, 2-3 shift because I have to granny shift it.

I just had real high expectations and am pretty disappointed.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
that's why i always recommend 3.73s...and nothing higher then 4.10s. you dont get traction from what im reading. with 4.30s you had it coming. just get some DRs, and stronger halfshafts, and youll be good.

marek

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
I had 4:30's,full exhaust, and a JLT with NITTO DR's on my 01 and i was running 12.7's all day...4:30's rule.....

I would rev up to 4k and slip the clutch...then row threw the gears.

NXSVTCOBRA

on street tires, my car ran stock with just a BBK filter 13.4, on street tires, a solid axle w/ 4.10's, built motor, l/t headers. o/r h, jlt rai, and a tune, the car ran a whopping 13.6, swap on some ET Streets and the car turns very low 12's on motor

get some tires man, you'll notice a difference

Stitch

Established Member
Here's the actual numbers from my best run.

r/t: .256
60': 1.96
330': 5.714
1/8th: 8.776
mph: 81.85
1000: 11.302
1/4: 13.563
mph: 103.71

mikey99cobra

Established Member
when you do a mod like gears it takes some practice to learn how to effectively use them at the track. You have to relearn shift points and launching. Go try it again and get some seat time and I bet those times will come down.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
It's going to take some practice. It's very common to get steep gears and lose a few tenths in the quarter, you just need to adjust to all that extra torque multiplication off the line. Tires and halfshafts will definately help, but I think you should concentrate on tightening the nut behind the wheel ;-)

Good luck!

CobraG

Established Member
This is the only thing I don't like about doing gears, you spend all that money to do them, then need more money to get it to run effective. I think gears are a down the road mod not a first mod, just my opinion

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I am with Marek on this one... I am not a fan of 4:30's although everyone says go that route. I think they are too much and that 3:73's would be the way to go. I however will never change the stockers in mine traction doesnt exist already.

99cobranix

Rice Eater
Established Member
Bro, get some DR's. I just knocked 3-4 tenths off my time with them opposed to my street tires, and also no more wheel hop except a little bit in first.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Stitch said:
Here's the actual numbers from my best run.

r/t: .256
60': 1.96
330': 5.714
1/8th: 8.776
mph: 81.85
1000: 11.302
1/4: 13.563
mph: 103.71

What did you best pre-4.30 run look like? Do your time slips show the weather conditions?

Stitch

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
What did you best pre-4.30 run look like? Do your time slips show the weather conditions?

I need to get the slip, I'll see if I can find it.

edit:

Found it:
r/t: .326 (zero tree)
60': 1.917
330': 5.516
1/8: 8.509 @ 81.67
1/4: 13.263 @ 104.37

Looks like alot of time was lost in the first 330'. 60's being similar, I lose 2 tenths from 60' to 330'. That would be right in my 1-2 shift when I have to really feather the shift due to wheel hop. My first few runs, If I speed/power shifted I'd wheel hop so hard I'd have to get out and get back in.

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I'm no expert, but that's what I was thinking.

The gear isn't wrong, you just have to relearn how to drive it. If 4.30 was too much gear for a N/A cobra, then you wouldn't see guys like Bob Cosby and duane V (among others) running 4.88s.

You still have the IRS? Read the IRS article - you're going to have to do something to address the wheel hop. Mine hopped some even when I had my 3.27s.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Stitch -- I think Lemosley is right on the money. You will just need to practice more to get used to the car again, especially if you are going to stay on street tires. DR's will be your new best buddy!!!!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Don't forget you added the 3-4 shift now that you run 4:10's. That;s gonna cost you a tic or 2 also.

JAX99GRNSVT

thats it...stroke the mod
Established Member
the irs tech article will help alot....the irs is not exactly an ideal drag setup i'm an open track kinda guy so you'll have to pull mine from my cold dead rearend.(wow that doesn't sound right;) i've got 4.30's and before the torsen went in i went a best of 10.94 but i've got alot...maybe too much, done. but at first had some serious traction issues went with power before suspension/handling........BIG mistake if you wanna know some other things about building an awesome susp setup go to kennybrown.com and read the KB101.....you have to have a solid foundation for your power or it's worthless...suspension suspension suspension......and another quick not....next mod check out agent47 tubular supports

Users who are viewing this thread