NT05R or et street II

whitesnake86

Established Member
Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either tire, I have an 07 GT500 with stock rims and was looking between the NT05R 285/40/18 or the et street II 305/35/18. Any other tire recommendations would be appreciated too

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
20 inch et street kicks ass on my machine. helped to get me in the 10's with my gt500 convertible. 1.6 60 foots on a stock suspension car

they handle like CRAP!!! so don't think about carving corners

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either tire, I have an 07 GT500 with stock rims and was looking between the NT05R 285/40/18 or the et street II 305/35/18. Any other tire recommendations would be appreciated too

I have used both. The MT is a little shorter than stock height. The Nitto is slightly taller. Both hooked pretty well with the MT having the advantage. The Nitto's lasted much longer. Your power level, rear gear and driving style will factor into which will work best for you.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
20 inch et street kicks ass on my machine. helped to get me in the 10's with my gt500 convertible. 1.6 60 foots on a stock suspension car

they handle like CRAP!!! so don't think about carving corners

NT05R if you want to still have the car handle well on the street.
I went 1.76 60' and [email protected] on 100% stock suspension/20" Alcoas, so the NT05R works at the track nearly as well as the MT but handles and wears better.

BTW--my brother has been 1.39 60' on that 305 MT (auto/spray/eaton/mod-fox), so they def. work.
-J

whitesnake86

Established Member
Thanks, kind of leaning towards the nitto even though they are 285s where as the mickey are 305s. The width difference was my main concern, just wondering if it made much of a difference. But the price for both being over 300$ for 18" rims is crazy to me lol

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I ran both in 305's and the M/T hook noticeably better. I sold my NT05R's after being disappointed after using the ETII's and went back to what worked best.

RLB01

Established Member
Have 07 with 18x11 wheels out back. Have ran both MT & NTO5R's with the MT hooking better hands down. Have 688 hp @ the wheels.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Have 07 with 18x11 wheels out back. Have ran both MT & NTO5R's with the MT hooking better hands down. Have 688 hp @ the wheels.
What 60' difference?
What psi?
I had to run the NT05Rs at 15psi and they performed well. One of the mags (Super Chevy maybe) did a back-back test on both with a high 10s 6-speed SS Camaro and they were almost identical, slight edge actually to the Nitto.
I agree the MT probably hooks better if track only, if mainly street/less strip, the Nitto is better in my experience.
I have NT05Rs on the GT500 (street>>strip), MT in 315/60 and 325/50/15s on my LX (strip>>>street).
Good luck, I say try either one, we all know we will be replacing them frequently and try the other next change ;-)
-J

whitesnake86

Established Member
Now I'm leaning slightly towards the mickeys, I have the nitto 305/45/18s now but they are too tall. Nittos site says they are 28.90" tall. I just got a set of race stars with some 27" tall Hoosiers on them but im looking to change my everyday tires on the stock rims and I just wanted something good down around 27" which both the 285 nittos and 305 et streets are. I have 621 to the wheels with the stock blower and i am happy with the 305 nittos though, they bite hard from any roll in second and mostly in first too as long as it's not super cold

mtang43050

Established Member
I would run the nitto for street driving they will last longer.I have the 295/18 Nto5r on my 675rwhp Shelby and cut 1.80/1.70 60 @ the track and love them on the street.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
One of the mags (Super Chevy maybe) did a back-back test on both with a high 10s 6-speed SS Camaro and they were almost identical, slight edge actually to the Nitto.

-J

That was a good article. It proved to me that wider is not better. They were testing a 315 MT vs a 275 Nitto. The Nitto won. The Nittos are better for high speed rolls, and turns. Nittos last longer.

This should convince you:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/wheels-tires/sucp-1004-nitto-nt05-drag-radial-test/

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
That was a good article. It proved to me that wider is not better. They were testing a 315 MT vs a 275 Nitto. The Nitto won. The Nittos are better for high speed rolls, and turns. Nittos last longer.

This should convince you:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/wheels-tires/sucp-1004-nitto-nt05-drag-radial-test/

This test was a Chevy on a prepped track. On the street, my 2007 hooked way better using the M/T and both were the same size. Listen to people who ran both on a S197 on the street.

edit: After reading this article again, I see they tested his used M/T street tires against new NT05's which is another reason not to put much faith into this article.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
This test was a Chevy on a prepped track. On the street, my 2007 hooked way better using the M/T and both were the same size. Listen to people who ran both on a S197 on the street.

edit: After reading this article again, I see they tested his used M/T street tires against new NT05's which is another reason not to put much faith into this article.

I don't know man... After reading this article, hook or no hook, you can't beat the NT05R's. MT may "hook" better, but you really can't account for their "float" at high speed, and super rapid wear. YMMV

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I like my Mickey's, but when they wear out, I think I'm going to try the NT05R's. I love everything about the Mickey's, except handling. They're a little squishy through the twisties.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've tried both on a GT500. Have you?

If it smells bad don't eat it.

All the forums, GTR, Vette, Camaro, Import, etc. all say better things about the Nittos than the MT. Plus, I could make the case that the NEW Nittos weren't a positive thing. The grip gets better as they wear. Its funny. Everyone says the MT's hook better. In this test they didn't. So combine, hooking better, with all the other positives, why would you want a slower tire with more negatives than positives? Believe it or not, some people don't like the Nittos solely because they are, "Made in Japan".

Going with the Nittos for the grip, handling in corners, wear, and no float!

Last edited:

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I've used both and will throw my vote in for the MT II. I put mine through the wringer on my 4k mile road trip and they are a great tire IMO.

mgmustang1

Established Member
mickey thompson def much better for the track. m/t dead hook, nitto spin.

Users who are viewing this thread