Number 8 fail

laflur6

Established Member
Okay I posted a while back about having to get a new short block due to a number 8 issueI just got the car back so heres everything I know. Im not doing this to push blame on anyone for the issue. The car is a 2012 gt auto. Mods are just GT500 axle backs and off road H-pipe with BAMA Tunes. This is my wifes car so its not drove hard. I have been to the track one time in the car and ran on the 93 race tune. Every other time the car is ran on the 87 street tune. Its always had 93 ran in it so, before anyone says maby I had 87 octane in the 93 tune its not the case. I just have her run the 87 tune because I thought that tune would just be more safe on the car. One day she told me she seen smoke comming out the exhaust. The car has 26k miles on it so I told her we would bring it to Ford and let them take a look. I got a call after a couple days saying I had a problem with number 8 and would be getting a new short block. No i dont know exactly what the problem was because I didnt ask once I knew I was getting a new short block. They did tell me the new block was a 2013 style block. Im not saying this is because of the BAMA tunes alone, but im sure it played a part in it. I know there will be some poeple on here this this is just bull or not all true. There are a few people on here though that know me personally and can vouch for the truth of it.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i am not sure what the point of this post is but i will tell you one thing that you shouldnt do. dont run 87 octane man. It is not worth it especially with a tune. i dont care if bama or anyone tells me that they have a performance tune that can run on 87. Dont use 87!

5.0jake

Established Member
I'm on my 3rd 5.0 since 2010 and none have ever seen 87 octane and never will.
Not sure what OP is asking either but the 13-14's do seem to be ''immune'' to #8 issues.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I remember the thread you started a couple weeks ago. For arguments sake, I would get more info from the dealer about what EXACTLY the issue was that they think caused the failure. In the meantime, consider yourself lucky you got a warrantied short block after running an aftermarket tune.

I guess I get the whole running 93 on an 87 tune for safety reasons, but why not just have run the 93 street tune?….That way you are running the octane the tune was meant and designed for. Bama's street tunes are pretty conservative.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
Some are misunderstanding what the op is saying. I think he always ran 93 octane, but with the 87 tune as a safeguard.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
ah i see i think you are right. either way i still dont understand what op is trying to explain or get at.

Swine

Established Member
Its always had 93 ran in it so, before anyone says maby I had 87 octane in the 93 tune its not the case. I just have her run the 87 tune because I thought that tune would just be more safe on the car.

all aboard the fail boat:read:
dont run 87 octane man. It is not worth it especially with a tune. i dont care if bama or anyone tells me that they have a performance tune that can run on 87. Dont use 87!

I'm on my 3rd 5.0 since 2010 and none have ever seen 87 octane and never will.

WOW I never ran anything less then 93 even when I wasn't SC'ed.

:p

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
First of all, use the enter key. Christ.

Second, you are DAMN LUCKY that you are getting your engine replaced with having an aftermarket tune. You better hope they don't decide to check for it before finally going through with the replacement. Just be happy its getting fixed.

Third, figures the problems start when the woman drives it!

I kid :)

Last edited:

May93

Established Member
I'd be curious to the BAMA tune and warranty that they offer for the # 8 cylinder. Unless it was determined from the dealership not to be a Tune issue. On another note is the 12 and 13 blocks different and if not what was changed that fixed the #8 cylinder issue?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Damn some of you cannot read. Dude clearly stated the car always had 93 in the tank. By running a tune designed for 87 isn't an issue. It's going to have less timing for the most part. So before anyone goes off saying that by doing that he's dumb you might wanna go look in the mirror. I'd almost be willing to bet the 87 tune has close to stock timing. Plus these car are not just stuck with set timing they know when they have crap gas. OP congrats on a new motor. You are lucky unless you had to pay for it.

laflur6

Established Member
Exactly^^^..I had her running on an 87 tune, but always used 93 octane. I did contact BAMA, but they didnt need to warranty it because ford did. There is a reason I brought my car to the dealership that I did. I wasnt worried about it getting fixed. Yes, there is a difference in the 13 blocks. They dont have the oilers and he told me there was something else, but I cant remeber the other difference maby the rings or something like that. I also had them do the MMR cooling mod while it was tore apart.

Users who are viewing this thread