MYGT500

Established Member
honey...I lost my job today
i67984_warehousecrash.gif

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
WTH caused that?

IIRC, they were steaming it and when they were done they didn't leave a way for the steam to get out, so when it condensed it caused a vacuum and then what you see there. That tank was designed to withstand pressure but not vacuum.

robs400

Established Member
IIRC, they were steaming it and when they were done they didn't leave a way for the steam to get out, so when it condensed it caused a vacuum and then what you see there. That tank was designed to withstand pressure but not vacuum.

There was a good episode on mythbusters demonstrating that same thing. The gif in this thread doesnt show all sides of the tank so its hard to see exactly what was going on. Either way, Its when the tank is filled with vapor/gas and it condenses, most likely caused by a quick cooling. In the show they hosed the tank with cold water. The gas changes back into a liquid state, and in that state the liquid takes up far less volume that in the vapor/gas state. So once the stuff inside condensates there is a vacuum inside the tank, which like mentioned before is not what the tank has been designed to support. Class dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread