Nxt?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I want to wax my Cobra for the first time. She still looks good with only 1K miles on her. I was thinking of NXT wax, or should I go with a good carnuba wax? I don't want to do a lengthy multiple step process. I just want to use a good off the shelf wax.
Any recomendations or suggestions?

Last edited:

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Wash the car with Dawn - best degreaser for cars.

I would clay it, even with 1k on it.

Then I would NXT it - I use it on my cobra and its a decent wax, but I do a multipart process - dawn, clay, polish, wax.

Check this site out:

http://www.bettercarcare.com

M

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If you are shosing between those two I would say go NXT. It will go on and come off much easier than the carnuba wax, and will shine nearly as deep. I use Tropi-care polish. It goes on very easy and is formulated like Zaino, but goes on in one step, and comes off very easy. It also shines like a carnuba, something Zaino can not say.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
So, a natural carnuba wax like zymol will out shine a synthetic wax like nxt? :shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That is the theory. But synthetics are catching up. I have never seen NXT personally other than in pics, but it shines pretty good. Some say that Zaino leaves a "silvery look", I use Tropi-care, and it is the closest thing to a good carnuba wax have seen.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
I only have one coat of NXT on my truck, with no toppers yet. You be the judge:

1.jpg

2000 MGT

Originally posted by maliclipse
Wash the car with Dawn - best degreaser for cars.

that's the WORST thing to use to wash your car; who ever told you that is just retarded.

Dawn and other dish soaps ruin your paint and cause premature cracking and fading. They are incredibly harsh.

Don't EVER wash your car with dish soap.

Trust me.....I work in detailing.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
All of the major polish manufacturers say to dawn. If you are starting with a fresh base of wax or polish it is the only way to strip the old wax off for sure. I always follow this with a good clay bar, and then wax.

Scott P

Established Member
Originally posted by HISSMAN
All of the major polish manufacturers say to dawn. If you are starting with a fresh base of wax or polish it is the only way to strip the old wax off for sure. I always follow this with a good clay bar, and then wax.

The only polish company I've ever seen endorse a Dawn Wash is Zaino. Even they say to only do it for the first time. Dawn isn't the best thing long-term for trim and plastic. Zaino is a finicky product that needs a clean surface to bond. Using Dawn helps attain this.

For those that do a multi-step process, the first step removes the remaining wax. Whether you use a chemical or abrasive based cleaner or polish, it will remove any remaining wax.

Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, Klasse AIO, the paint cleaners from Wolfgang, Four Star Ultimate, etc are all products that remove wax, oxidation and other stuff in the paint. Clay removes cotaminents on the surace such as rail dust, industrial fallout, etc.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not saying to use Dawn with every wash, just the first one to get a good bond.

Speedy1

Established Member
Stay away from your car with dish soap, it has degreasers built in, you wouldn't wash it with simple green would ya. I have used NXT since it came out, for the price, it's a very good product. Trick to getting a great end result with NXT is using an orbital, if done by hand you get some streaking from uneven pressure. Cherry wax is still my favorite, but like I said, for the price, and availability NXT rocks.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
Originally posted by Speedy1
...Trick to getting a great end result with NXT is using an orbital, if done by hand you get some streaking from uneven pressure...

Exactly. I used a Porter Cable (Meguiars) orbital to apply my one coat of NXT.

hdotis69

Established Member
I have a detail shop so I use auto magic. If I really want it to shine I go over it with 3M hand glaze and the put auto magagic BC-2 on and it makes it shine.

Users who are viewing this thread