NYC/Boston/Rhode Island trip! HELP!

jared6180

Established Member
My wife wants to visit 3 towns before she turns 41...which is this April...
1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Rhode Island

My wife wants to go to Rhode Island, she isn't even 100% sure why, just a dream of hers. We both want to go to NYC, and she wants to visit Boston, I noticed they are close on the map, so I was wondering if anybody has any advise on how to do all at the same time?

Is there a town in Rhode Island that is more attractive than another? I was thinking Providence is the only town I know of in Rhode Island.

Is there a boat that crosses Long Island Sound to get to Rhode Island? What methods of transportation are there on the East coast that we don't have in the midwest? Out here we drive from town to town, and fly, and maybe get on an Amtrak if we are desperate...I have never been desperate...

I am aware its a different world out there, and I am open to different modes of transportation.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'd prob go NYC, RI. Then Boston. Or in reverse order if you're driving. Should make a fun little trip. Follow the coast line. I've been to all of those places, just not in the same trip. lol. I'd just pick up a rental car.

RI is very nice. I went to Providence and got a hotel right next to the beach. Cant remember the name though. As for boston, bring a GPS and prepare for some headaches driving there. Roads change names everyother block. Quincy Market is great too and theres tons of things to see there.

NYC, well.. If you've been there before, you know what its like. You cant get bored there.

Have fun with the trip!

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
If you come out to R.I google the Waterfire's Schedule in Providence. Thats a cool thing to do, Spend the day in Newport ( R.I ) To be honest north of providence you can avoid. There's nothing special Imo to do.
Fyi you can drive from one end of R.I to the other end in 45 mins.

chucknorris289

Established Member
I live in CT about an hour from providence and boston, and about 2.5 from NYC, I'd go to Boston, Providence, then NYC which is the most economic route if your driving

ff500

Established Member
I was born and raised in Boston, I can help you with that. Rhode Island, you could go to Newport and check out the mansions. If you come to Boston it might be worth your while to visit Cape Cod as well.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
start in boston, take 95 south, jump off onto 146 south, takes ya right to providence, then go back up to 95, goes right through NY.
Pretty easy.
Only 1 hour from Boston to providence with traffic.
NYC is about 2.5 hours from Providence.

boatcop1

Established Member
Boston-RI-NYC

Fly into Logan (Boston) rent a car and get a hotel room down town or right at the airport (with the Ted Williams tunnel it's pretty quick and easy to get downtown). Quincy Market, Fanual Hall, The North End, Back bay, Charles River, Beacon Hill, Public Gardens, Freedom trail, Fenway Park, Kenmore square, Newbury street, USS Constitution, If your into museums there is plenty of those, A duck tour is a neet way to go ($$). Aquarium is ok, Harbor tours and ferry's galore that will take you to either Quincy, Hull or Hyannis on the cape.

It's a little out of the way but jumping on 93 south from Boston and then 3 south to Cape Cod is pretty nice. Fantastic beaches and shops botiques for the wife in Hyannis, Harwichport, Provincetown at the tip or Cape Cod canal and Falmouth will give you a good idea of the cape without traveling to the end of it.

About 15-20 min prior to reaching Cape Cod you will run right through Plymouth right off of route 3. Plymouth rock and the plantation are pretty neet, the Mayflower II?

Or just run south on 95 and it will take you right through the gut of RI, Providence. Down town Providence is ok, I wouldn't spend to much time there though. Jump on 195 east for a click or two and then 138(?) down into Newport. Newport is frigging beuatiful, awesome shopping dowtown, beatiful sailing port right in the heart of Narraganset bay. Awesome restaurants, bars. The mansions are a must do tour, The Breakers etc! You will be aww struck for sure. Cruise over the Newport Bridge into Jamestown and you can have a sandwich right down town where they fillmed 3/4 of Me Myself And Irene! lol. Keep heading west and you will jump right back on 95 south.

About 35-40 minutes later you will see signs for Mystic CT. Just stop off the highway and go check it out, it's pretty nice and you can get a slice and take a picture with the wife at the infamous Mystic pizza restauraunt (prob take 45 min out of day)

Then just continue on to the city, As everyone said, you cannot get bored in NY city. Return your car at one of NY's airports and fly home, trip complete!

Of course you are planning this for the spring or summer right? lol

To do this trip right, you want your own car (rental). Between planes trains and busses you could do it but you will end up spending the same $ and not have nearly the freedom.

Properly planned you could do 2 days in Boston, 1.5 in RI and at least 2 in NY.

Have fun and bring your wallet:beer:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
/\ all good suggestions

def work North to south and end in NYC. You may even want 3 days if you guys are into shows, museums and fine dining

Users who are viewing this thread