NYS SLEEP Act

ajaf1656

Established Member
I'm trying to decide where I'll send the communists and freaks when I enact my plan to lead the secession of Texas and subsequent conquering of surrounding lands to form a new Republic of Texas. I'm thinking I'll send them all east of the Appalachians and Texas will conquer the rest of north America.
Nah, who am I kidding? We'll want that too. I guess we can just ship them off to China. They can get right to work teaching their comrades about wokeism and being green.

Jrs7686

Established Member
I'm trying to decide where I'll send the communists and freaks when I enact my plan to lead the secession of Texas and subsequent conquering of surrounding lands to form a new Republic of Texas. I'm thinking I'll send them all east of the Appalachians and Texas will conquer the rest of north America.
Nah, who am I kidding? We'll want that too. I guess we can just ship them off to China. They can get right to work teaching their comrades about wokeism and being green.
Might be a little off track here with this one, but point taken.

As for me, I need to replace the exhaust on my car (97 Cobra) anyways, was debating on the American Thunder Cat Back, or getting another set of MAC Cat Back(used). Wife said it is too loud, Mother said it is too loud. I'm not sold on it being too loud. So I bought a sound meter, I'll try posting results with current setup.

If either one of those will be too loud was half thinking about putting Super 50s on and just go that way. Anyone run Super 50s?

ajaf1656

Established Member
Might be a little off track here with this one, but point taken.

As for me, I need to replace the exhaust on my car (97 Cobra) anyways, was debating on the American Thunder Cat Back, or getting another set of MAC Cat Back(used). Wife said it is too loud, Mother said it is too loud. I'm not sold on it being too loud. So I bought a sound meter, I'll try posting results with current setup.

If either one of those will be too loud was half thinking about putting Super 50s on and just go that way. Anyone run Super 50s?

I got a ticket in CA back in the day for my 2000 Mustang GT being too loud. There was some limitation of so many dB's measured from a set distance from the car and they wanted me to prove I had it fixed. I couldn't find anyone or anywhere to test it. I ended up throwing the stock h-pipe back on and driving to the police station and had a guy come outside and listen to it. Later that day, I put the off-road x-pipe back on. Haha

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does CA already have this law in effect? They're first in everything anti-automotive mods.
Yep. But give the amount of straight piped 5.0's, Mopars, and ricers you'd never know.
I got a ticket in CA back in the day for my 2000 Mustang GT being too loud. There was some limitation of so many dB's measured from a set distance from the car and they wanted me to prove I had it fixed. I couldn't find anyone or anywhere to test it. I ended up throwing the stock h-pipe back on and driving to the police station and had a guy come outside and listen to it. Later that day, I put the off-road x-pipe back on. Haha
I had the same thing happen to. But the cops were looking to bust anyone going to a certain meet. I ended up throwing a stock catback on and taking it to a police station. The guy asked what I had before and he seemed to know what Stingers are. I'm also sure he knew I was going to put them back on.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, a Ricer AF idea just to piss off the pols. microphone in the exhaust tied to an an amp to waterproof speakers. One dial and make your exhaust as loud as you want. None of the performance benefits, but all of the piss off power.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of what my grandfather would do in the 50's had strait pipes and perhaps glass packs on the V8 car he was driving.
He'd get a citation, but it was a "fix it ticket," so if fixed the ticket and fine are gone.

He'd just stuff a section that he could access easily with steel wool a few days later, go find a cop who was not busy, give it a lot of good revs and get the ticket nullified. Probably did it a dozen or more times per my grandma so it had to have happened 2x.

Nowadays I've never had trouble but both the Lightning and the GT/CS have Baasani catback & X pipe, but I have a Borg Warner "precat" too. My cousin with a strait piped Viper GTS hasn't had any problems either.

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

ajaf1656

Established Member
Motorcycle guys are freaking out about this. The law seems to be targeting them more or so they think.

Enforcement is going to depend on how many pussies (liberals) live in your area.

I know the Harley guys like to say, "Loud pipes save lives" then proceed to ride off twisty roads into the trees, but it's true. I personally get annoyed at Harleys revving to the moon and making a bunch of racket when they are going 25mph through town. I couldn't really do that on my last Yamaha. 1st gear was good for 80mph, so I was having to feather the clutch while Harleys were shifting gears next to me. Haha

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Law enforcement is gonna get down on their hands n knees to check on the loudness of another man’s pipe…. Interesting times we live in. In all due respect I have the up most respect for LEOs but seems resources could be better spent goin after those hooning than causal drivers at the very least.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this law retroactive or only apply to vehicles modified after the law is passed? How about the Vehicles from the factory that have "Active Exhaust" that can make the car louder or quieter depending on the wants of the driver?
Somebody did not think this through very well.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this law retroactive or only apply to vehicles modified after the law is passed? How about the Vehicles from the factory that have "Active Exhaust" that can make the car louder or quieter depending on the wants of the driver?
Somebody did not think this through very well.

The bigger issue is "Sells and Installs".

You'll have LMR and American racing saying "Does not Shit to NYS" on their website.

Local exhaust shops, how are they going to manage repairs with aftermarket parts? Harley dealers won't be able to sell or install pretty much anything.

Reading the bill isn't about some Statie busting out the decibel reader on a traffic stop ala H20 style. It's about cutting off the supply and industry.

It's not about an actual noise level. It's about ending vehicle modifications which will end vehicle enthusiasm and make it easier to shove you into public transportation.

Jrs7686

Established Member
The bigger issue is "Sells and Installs".

You'll have LMR and American racing saying "Does not Shit to NYS" on their website.

Local exhaust shops, how are they going to manage repairs with aftermarket parts? Harley dealers won't be able to sell or install pretty much anything.

Reading the bill isn't about some Statie busting out the decibel reader on a traffic stop ala H20 style. It's about cutting off the supply and industry.

It's not about an actual noise level. It's about ending vehicle modifications which will end vehicle enthusiasm and make it easier to shove you into public transportation.
This! Exactly this, is going to be the issue. The fact they will go after shops or people who sell or install.

So the point being how do you know if it is an exhaust that is louder than factory?

I did a little test on my exhaust, cold start at 1 ft is 105 dBa, and goes down to 82 dBa after warming up and idle. Mind you this was in the garage, with a MAC catback and catted x pipe. And the MAC catback rattles like a mfer, and need replacement.

I didnt get to do much more than that at the time, but ill test it out some more soon.

Users who are viewing this thread