NYS Troopers

MustangJim21

Established Member
Are there any NY State Troopers on this site,or does anyone know of any? In 2008, I took the trooper exam. Shortly thereafter, there was a hiring freeze. Fast forward to 2013, and I just got called for processing.

If I would have been called in 2008, I would have jumped all over the opportunity. Now, I'm 29, have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have an excellent job with great pay and good benefits.

Is it worth switching careers and becoming a Trooper? I'm sure it would be an awesome job, albeit a dangerous one. The things, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty...you have to relocate to anywhere in the state where your are needed, and the hours are not the best when starting out. Pay is good, and benefits are awesome.

Wife and I are also in the process of looking for a house, and I would hate to put that off for another year.

Does anyone have any opion about a career in law enforcement, and anything specific about the NYS Troopers would be even better.

Thanks!

jshen

Established Member
Career

The first thing I will say is preface this response with the fact that I am a graduate Industrial Engineer ...that became a campus police officer for kicks. Upon graduation, the job market crashed and I became a police officer with a large metro PD. I was hooked on the job and later went to law school. Having said all that, your have a great degree with which you can live a good life if that is what you want...Since you are contemplating the move, will your wife accept the long hours away from home, the danger of being hurt or worse yet killed? When I made the leap, my folks were mad as hell and I heard a lot of remarks from family that I wasted my degree and money. However, if this is what will make you happy- go for it. Let me add, there are careers within law enforcement for which your degree would be of excellent use AND put you in a position for advancement as well as professional choices later. For example, traffic investigators, reconstructionists. In private practice after you go through the police schools, your degree will give the opportunity to write your own ticket in the private sector. It is rare to find an expert reconstructionist who is both an ME and LEO!!!.. As a lawyer and retired prosecutor, finding the right expert is not easy either with the police or private contractors...

Anyway, good luck in your career choice. I enjoyed every day I worked...

wesessiah

Established Member
i can't speak for new york troopers as i'm in nc. do you have a passion for it? that's one of the biggest factors in how someone does in their job. guys that don't have a passion bitch about every call they get dispatched to, or try to get out of reports any way possible, and i'd hate to feel that way. as far as being a trooper (in nc anyway) it's a little monotonous for my taste... traffic stop, traffic stop, wreck, traffic stop, wreck, etc.

do you enjoy what you're doing now? do you have the desire to be a trooper, but the relocation and hours are the things holding you back, and not the fact that you just don't want to leave your current job?

have you ever been on any ride alongs?

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
If you love what you do , you'll never work a day in your life...I have a buddy I graduated with in FL that's a trooper with a wife and kid and he loves his job. It's all what you make of it. Meow

try03venom

Established Member
I'm not a trooper but work for another dept. I can tell you this is a once in a lifetime opportunity the pay and benefits alone then there is a PENSION!! Go for it

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Are there any NY State Troopers on this site,or does anyone know of any? In 2008, I took the trooper exam. Shortly thereafter, there was a hiring freeze. Fast forward to 2013, and I just got called for processing.

If I would have been called in 2008, I would have jumped all over the opportunity. Now, I'm 29, have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have an excellent job with great pay and good benefits.

Is it worth switching careers and becoming a Trooper? I'm sure it would be an awesome job, albeit a dangerous one. The things, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty...you have to relocate to anywhere in the state where your are needed, and the hours are not the best when starting out. Pay is good, and benefits are awesome.

Wife and I are also in the process of looking for a house, and I would hate to put that off for another year.

Does anyone have any opion about a career in law enforcement, and anything specific about the NYS Troopers would be even better.

Thanks!

Kind of hard to top excellent :shrug:

If you go through with it, quit your job, get hired as a trooper, displaced to who knows where how would your wife feel about all of that?

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member

Thanks!

I was looking at the NYS troopers as it doesnt seem they have a swim qual (cant swim worth a crap) but from what Ive heard is that they are an excellent PD to work for pay is not bad and will have different experiences everyday.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Not a NY Trooper, but I am a 14 year VA Trooper. Law Enforcement is something you have to have a passion for. It can't just be "a job with a paycheck".

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
You'll be taking a risk, half the new guys at my dept usually either wash out of training or are gone in a few years. Like others have said you have to have a passion for the job and be able to put up with a lot of bull****. That being said, you will not find any job with this kind of camraderie besides the military.

Users who are viewing this thread