O.k. Stereo time

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
O.k. guys, since ive owned my truck the only money Ive spent on it has been on performance with the exception of rims. Its finally time to do a full stereo. I already have a sub/box and deck picked out, but I need some help picking out some replacement interior speakers and amplifiers.

The deck I plan on getting is the Kenwood DNX8120, and I plan on getting a sub and enclosure from "PROBOX" (www.Proboxrocks.com). I listen to alot of different music so I need a versitile system that can play everything well. Im also not into the big giant boomy type sound. I listen to everything from Toby Keith, to Linkin Park, To Disturbed, to Eminem. Im not looking to spend $1600 on interior speakers, but also dont want cheap best-buy crap. Anyway any help you guys can give would be great....Thanks.

L4WORK&PLAY

Established Member
Here are some ideas that I did.
I used a compact Kicker Box 10" COMPVT $130 off of ebay
Also used a Alpine mono amp 300 watt RMS $90 used off ebay
Speakers Infinity Reference 5x7 $52.95 per pair (Amazon)

I am really happy with the system it was cheap and my seat can go all the way back.
We cut a some MDF to match the contours of the cab then carpeted it and screwed through the mdf to the box. I think it came out clean and easy. I also like having room behind my seat for what ever I have. The sub hits hard and clean

Just my 2 cents

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is when the seat is all the way back
web.jpg

Last edited:

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
I got the Pioneer Premier's for the front speakers and it sounds pretty damn good.

I just installed my sub and amp yesterday...I would say build your own box if you can to save you alot of money. :banana:

wayboarder

Established Member
I just finished installing the Kenwood DNX - 8120. Worth every penny. I went with a Solabaric l7 8" and made my own box. The total cost for the box was 44 dollars, and about an hours worth of cutting. There is a program I found (gonna have to relook it up) that you put in what amperage and what speaker and a couple of dimensions and it tells you what the rest of the dimensions should be whether it be a sealed inclosure or ported. For the other speakers I went with the boston acoustics. Sounds bitchin especially watching transformers on the way into work this morning. Your gonna love the 8120!

Last edited:

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
I have a Kenwood Excelon deck, so I swapped out all four factory speakers with the Kenwood Excelon 6x8's they sound awesome.

SADF

Established Member
I have went to do a system so many times. Everytime I do I end up changing my mind and doing something else and trust me, right now I need one more than ever as my current Sony Craplod door speakers hooked up to a crappy Xplode Amp have already blew after a year or so of use. Im interested to see some of the setups. To get some points at a car show I need a stereo, but I keep doing performance or cosmetic stuff.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
run down of mine

MMCustom works designed sealed down firing enclosure
Rockford Fosgate Power series 10in sub (thing is retarded heavy and hits like a mother) wired at 1ohm
Infinity Kappas front and rear (100w@2ohm)
Fosgate Power series 4 channel amp 100wx2@2ohm
Fosgate Power series monoblock sub amp T500-1 wired to 1ohm thing kicks out 752w alone
1f cap (not enough at all...get drained fast will be replaced with a 650amp stinger battery)
JVC head MP3 head unit with JVC 12disk mp3 changer...the smalled 12 disk mp3 changer on the market right now.

the thing is stupid ass loud and sounds very clean.
I normally dont touch Fosgates punch shit...I stick to the power series stuff as its proven itself every time Ive ever messed with one of their systems...and for me I can run this thing full tilt and the amps barely get warm and my ears bleed.

DF4.jpg

here is the sub...forgive the dust and fingerprints
DF6.jpg

DF3.jpg

Last edited:

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
My setup is pretty basic to say the least.

MTX Thunderform Box $1xx
Two JL Audio 10W1v2-4 $80 each
Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp.$3xx
03 OEM Deck$100
Infinity Componets (all ready installed)

Sound is good for all kinds of music as I listen to almost anything but country.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
My whole set up is the kenwood deck, 4 6x8s and my sub. I got one made by Concept One. I had never heard of them, but it was recommended by a local audio shop. Its a 8" sub with a self contained 100W amp. Its box it grey plastic that is a perfect match for the light grey in our interiors. I listen to rock and metal mostly, this little 8 is perfect. It gives a nice punch to the bass drums, but the bass is still pretty nice and warm.

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys.....the local audio shop is attempting to get me to buy a set of "morel" speakers. I have never heard of this brand but man are they expensive ($800 a pair) The guy demo'd a set in another car there at the shop and they sounded amazingly clear and crisp even at 100% volume. Does anyone here have any experience with them ?? I was thinking of getting some soundstream 6.5"s till i heard these....I dont know if I can afford to buy them but I was amazed at how clean they were...

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with MB Quart PVI216's ?? I was thinking of a set of those with a kicker 08zx650.4 amp....

Morel..no clue

MB's are pretty nice :)
I picked up my Infinity Kappas because their specs were great and the price was awesome....they sound damn clean some highs make my ears hurt :(

I'D WIN

Established Member
Morel's are real nice and the quality is up there. The difference though is in the listener with a good set of ears and the right tuning.

Most car audio enthusiasts can't distinguish between a high-end speaker and a mid range speaker so they won't know the difference.

MB Quarts are just okay in my book. There quality has gone down hill greatly over the last 10 years. I lived in Germany and I have been to their shop in Obrigheim. They continue to cut costs, use cheaper material, blah blah blah. We sponsored a Chevy Silverado and MB Quart supplied all the goodies but we've had vehicles with an 1/8 of what it had and they sounded 10x better.

You can get a mid range (high quality) speaker to sound just as good if not CLOSE to a high end speaker if you have the right components backing it and a good set of ears tuning your setup.

Of course, more money and a high end of speakers will definitely win over the audience of those using a computer based tuning program. Otherwise, who is gonna know the difference unless you tell them. *That is IF you don't buy those Walmart brand speakers and their 1300w mono amp/sub combo like you were talking about doing.*

I am running Hifonics front stage components. The sound quality is unbelievable!

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
Well just came back from another audio shop. He pushed the infinty kappas alot, saying for the price that they were probably the best speaker out. He also suggested an infinity 5channel amp that gives a 60x4 and 300x1(rms) to power them and my sub. Now the sub is rated at 400rms, so thats 100rms over the amps sub channel, will that cause any damage to my sub to be under powered by that much ?

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Now the sub is rated at 400rms, so thats 100rms over the amps sub channel, will that cause any damage to my sub to be under powered by that much ?

I wouldn't under power my sub by that much if i were you.

I have 500w going to each of my 10's and i'm running Memphis Audio. Just need to get this all hooked up to see how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread