O/R mid-pipe and o2 sensors

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
If you install an off road H-pipe do you have to use a tuner and clear a setting so the o2 sensors after the cats don't freak out? Or do you just stuff it in there re install the sensors and run it? I tried searching but didn't come up with much on the sensors.

Thanks,
Lance

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's two ways to do it. One is to get MIL eliminators to put in place of the rear O2 sensors. The other is to have the sensors turned off in a tune.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Better to get them turned off with a tune. The MIL's don't work half the time. Mine never did. Plus, the tuner has many other uses.

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
how does having the o2 sensors turned off affect your cars computer? does it do anything at all?

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
It is better to have a tuner instead of MIL's. The MIL's tell your computer the cats are still there and that they are working correctly. The down side to mils is the computer every so often dumps an extra bit of fuel in the system to help keep the cats cool. This is another reason as to why most people have a rich A/F after a midpipe install. The tuner removes the process in which the car monitors the cats and therefore it rids the Check engine light as well as saves on the excess fuel consumption.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can turn them with those two tuners. The O2's have to be turned off in the actual tune itself first.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
the actual tune itself. So by that you mean having a tune created by livewire that turns them off then uploading that to the tuner and into the ECU? Or would I have to have a dyno tune loaded onto it?

Users who are viewing this thread